Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Changing Engine Oil

[ QUOTE ]
ok, ok, this is good. Now where exactly, in relation to the oil filter might I find this plug? Man, I swear it feels like the truck is gonna collapse and crush me when I'm under there.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should never ever be tinkering under your car while its jacked unless you have some jack stands. especially if you are trying to loosed bolts that you have never messed with before. oil change places often overtighten the bolt bc the are standing under the car and get more leverage with a longer tool.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:30 AM

Other good DIY car jobs

Fill the blinker fluid...
Replace Exhaust Bearings...
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 PM

I AM THE KING!!!! freaking 15mm socket wrench did the trick. Why, for the love of God, does Chevy use the Metric system? I've replaced the engine coolant, drained the oil, transfered oil into containers, now all I need to do is return the standard oil filter to get one that is considerably smaller. Now why does a truck, and I'm not talking one of those tiny import trucks, why does an american Chvey Silverado use such a tiny oil filter? Well, they do, so just a quick run up to Pep boys to get it exchanged and I am in business!

Frustrating experience, but damn did it feel good watching that stream of black coming from the oil pan after finally looseing that screw. In 100K miles, I'll even know how to drain my engine coolant. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help, OOT, and glad I could provide a few laughs.

CSC
Old 12-08-2005, 08:07 PM

depending on the car and part it was built in Canada, also Metric is becoming more common jsut in general for car parts

BTW thanks for the laughs

PS I hope you didnt strip the threads on the plug , and i pray the oil that came out was brown/blackish and not redish..if it was red uh, say Hi to your tranny for me ...

PPS Draining your coolant and refilling it this time of year isnt a bad idea either, should do a raditor flush too though, if you do please pelase post that as well. :P
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 PM

There's no way this isn't a troll.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:30 PM

this is so great
Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CSC,

Make sure you got the seal removed with the oil filter, sometimes it will stay on. It's just a rubber ring between the filter and the engine.

And when you put the new filter on, dip your finger in the oil and rub it around the seal on the new filter. Oh and I'd recommend an oil filter wrench too.

[/ QUOTE ]
i always fill my filter with new oil before i put it on (in addition to lubing the seal of course)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 AM

All this trouble or spending $20 for an instant oil change? You make the call.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All this trouble or spending $20 for an instant oil change? You make the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandfather was a mechanic. My father is only slightly below my grandfather in ability. I'm pretty damn good when compared to the general population...

I have other people change my oil. First there's the cost. Even if I go to my "regular" mechanic (there are things that just aren't worth doing if you don't have a working shop), it still doesn't cost me that much more than the oil and filter by themselves. Second, there's disposal. You have to have a plan for waste oil disposal. It's not always legal or easy to get rid of. The cost of hiring someone to change your oil is far less than any fine you get for improper disposal.

One time in college, a girl offered me a case of beer and $25 to change her oil. I drove her car to Jiffy Lube. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One time in college, a girl offered me a case of beer and $25 to change her oil. I drove her car to Jiffy Lube. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great. I hope you got some oil and smeared it on your cheek and made yourself look exhausted, possibly by jerkin it in her car.