Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 03:23 AM

Default The Persistence of Memory

I think memory plays a big part in one’s level of intelligence. Does it and to what degree does it and does it always?

I wonder because I think of folk who have photographic memories. I understand that not all these folk can assimilating information so well.

Is there a minimum level of intelligence one must posses to make one “smarter” if one had better memory?

I am thinking that some folk have “street smarts”, others are geniuses but have no clue to what’s what. Others are all around bright folk. How does the level of one’s memory capabilities relate to all of this? (As an aside: What other things go into the overall "smarts" of a person?)

I’ll use myself as an example. If I could remember a fraction of all that I have read or learned in life I think I would have a higher IQ. Is that true? Sometimes I’ll read something and fully understand the text. But if asked to summarize what I just read, I might have a hard time recalling enough detailed information to put together a coherent thought. But, if allowed to use the text I might be able to write a summary of equal stature as a person with a higher IQ, who didn’t need to rely on the text, would.

Also, does anything affects one’s memory - I don’t mean alcohol or things like that. I mean is the level of memory capabilities a static thing? Things like trauma would it seems - what other things do if any?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: The Persistence of Memory

it's a crime not to have this in a thread of this title.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:32 AM

Thanks Johnny,

I am not very adept at posting pics. I read how to once, but I forgot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RJT
Old 11-07-2005, 04:42 AM

I used to hang out with some top mathematical minds and none of them had exceptional memories. The consensus among us was that memory is not terribly important in mathematics because the thing that separates a super math brain from just a good math brain is clarity of thinking, especially in NEW situations, ie. those in which a perfect memory won't help much anyway. Very difficult math problems are not generally solved by pattern recognition. They are solved via original thinking and creativity for the most part. I have met a number of mediocre math students who didn't want to accept this, though. Psychologically it's easier to accept that your memory is not that good rather than your brain simply doesn't have enough horsepower.

The dudes I knew with outstanding memories became either lawyers, doctors or businessmen for the most part and were never terribly good at math.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:55 AM

Awesome painting. I was in NY a few weeks ago and got a chance to see it at the MOMA. I was shocked at how tiny it actually is. I'm so used to seeing big prints.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 AM

As I get older I find I remember fewer details unless I really concentrate. It may be because my memory is not as powerful now, or that fewer things get past the filter between shot-term and long-term memory, because fewer things hold my interest long enough. I have lost much of my ability to remember strings of numbers (phone numbers in particular), because I never, ever practice it, letting electronic devices do it for me instead.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome painting. I was in NY a few weeks ago and got a chance to see it at the MOMA. I was shocked at how tiny it actually is. I'm so used to seeing big prints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, as a number of his paintings are quite large.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I get older I find I remember fewer details unless I really concentrate. It may be because my memory is not as powerful now, or that fewer things get past the filter between shot-term and long-term memory, because fewer things hold my interest long enough. I have lost much of my ability to remember strings of numbers (phone numbers in particular), because I never, ever practice it, letting electronic devices do it for me instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't I know what you mean. So, I think I am asking why this is so. Does something cause a breakdown in memory in our brains? And if so, can something help our brains to remember more. I am thinking perhaps something chemical.

Obviously, if we knew, we would all be ingesting large quanties of the chemical. I am simply curious to what science might theorize or is working on currently regarding memory.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to hang out with some top mathematical minds and none of them had exceptional memories. The consensus among us was that memory is not terribly important in mathematics because the thing that separates a super math brain from just a good math brain is clarity of thinking, especially in NEW situations, ie. those in which a perfect memory won't help much anyway. Very difficult math problems are not generally solved by pattern recognition. They are solved via original thinking and creativity for the most part. I have met a number of mediocre math students who didn't want to accept this, though. Psychologically it's easier to accept that your memory is not that good rather than your brain simply doesn't have enough horsepower.

The dudes I knew with outstanding memories became either lawyers, doctors or businessmen for the most part and were never terribly good at math.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of what I am wondering. Why things like this seem to occur? I am thinking if intelligence is made up of x % logic capabilities, y % memory, z% something else, etc.

We all have different % of each item that added together equals our total intelligence. What is the best quality to have – how do they rank? David, for example, I assume would say that the logic capacity would have to be highest on the scale and that everything else is just icing on the cake (he might even say the other qualities are superfluous or even a hindrance).

What are all the qualities that go into the makeup of one’s intelligence?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of what I am wondering. Why things like this seem to occur?

[/ QUOTE ]

My theory on memory is that it depends heavily on how much you pay attention to something which, in turn, depends heavily on how much you're interested in it. I am a firm believer in being able to develop memory to very high levels if you give it enough effort. Generating the motivation and interest levels is the hard part.

I think people have a way of developing the skills they need on their own, yet sometimes they aren't aware of what they need. If someone says to me "I'd love to be like this or that but I can't seem to develop the skills", my instant reaction is "I doubt it. Sure you'd like to be like that WITHOUT MAKING THE EFFORT but when you are faced with the cost-benefit analysis of effort vs. reward, you decide it's not worth it. Others who are there already have decided it IS worth it and that's the main difference."

As for what constitutes intelligence...I think that's a good philosophical question and most people (Sklansky included) will say it's whatever they happen to be good at. Personally I think intelligence is related to long-term survival prospects which includes the ability to cope with a multitude of situations we may find ourselves in. Whoever has the best future prospects given the Darwinian ebb and flow of the planet is the most intelligent IMO. Some say you can get there via logic, others via interpersonal skills, others via other means. I say we don't really know since it can't be measured accurately, but that time will tell eventually.