Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Sick-ass draw, raised pot.

Well played, preflop and flop.

BEST turn action: Bet
WORST turn action: Check

You should bet here. The queen scares him if he doesn't have one. If he's on some kind of LAP draw here, the best way, IMO, to control the pot size is to bet about $12. Don't open the door for him to bet at the pot, because given your read it might be uncallable. You are representing a probable trip Q's to villian, keep up the charade as cheaply as possible. You'll get alot of folds here if he doesn't have a Q in his hand. If he raises you, you probably have to let it go. If he calls, and you hit your hand, you just have to be cautious on the river.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:05 PM

I don't like this against a passive opponent. Even though he is described as making bet bets on scary boards, it's entirely possible that he just had a hand. If he is passive overall, I'd rather check and take my chances that he won't bet big.

I think you bring up a valid point about betting and representing a queen, just not against a passive opponent.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:12 PM

A good thing about betting here is that you don't mind folding to a raise as much.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:23 PM

Wow, this is a really interesting hand.

Other than just checking preflop (I know you thought you'd get position.. but it didn't work out like that), I would bet $6 on the flop and go for the checkraise allin (presumably as you did).

On the turn:
Bet 12, fold to any raise. If he calls and you don't improve on the river, obviously let it go. If you improve to straight oo flush, half pot the river, and fold to allin. I think there's a real possibility of QJ here.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you please explain why you'd want to raise 4x BB preflop with T9s. It's a hand I love myself, but it's a drawing hand! Why raise big? You don't wanna chase people out! What's the point in stealing $1.5 in blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

The main point is diguising your hand. This get's to be more important at higher stakes, but still, I make lots of money with suited connectors at mid stakes, and I think it's cause I play them fairly similar to big pairs.