Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Sick-ass draw, raised pot.

I think I do not play pair + flush draw hands well.

Here's an extreme example.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($164.70)
UTG+1 ($72.10)
UTG+2 ($38.35)
MP1 ($175.80)
MP2 ($103.50)
Hero ($147.45)
CO ($187)
Button ($97)
SB ($126.75)
BB ($149.35)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.
CO is 44/7 after 100+ hands. Fairly passive, but has been making big bets at scary boards in raised pots.
Flop: ($9.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, CO calls $6.

Turn: ($21.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

Let's make this a two-parter.

1) What is Hero's BEST action?
2) What is Hero's WORST action?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Sick-ass draw, raised pot.

Hey Anacardo,

[ QUOTE ]
I think I do not play pair + flush draw hands well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't either, so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt here.

I might very well be a pansy, but I think I would check and call a reasonable sized bet here. If you lead and he raises, it puts you in a really ugly spot. I don't want to make the pot any bigger in a spot where I could be drawing dead, and if a passive player wants to give me a free card, I'm happy to take it. This is a horrible turn card for your hand and this is not a good spot to get your money in or play a big pot.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Bet flop harder, then check call hope to hit your. If you hit check call/check raise depending on your read on him. If you miss, its time to muck!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:09 PM

Try to keep the pot small. Either a smallish lead or check/call a smallish bet. Tread carefully.

Your worst option is building a big pot. In fact, building a big pot is pretty much a bad idea at any point since the stacks are fairly deep and you have a non-nut draw (besides SF, obviously).

Against a shortstack player I will try to check/raise this flop all-in most of the time.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet flop harder, then check call hope to hit your. If you hit check call/check raise depending on your read on him. If you miss, its time to muck!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this. You don't want to build the pot OOP with non-nut draws, even when you have multiple draws like this. You have a ton of outs, but a lot of them could be dirty.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:10 PM

Can you please explain why you'd want to raise 4x BB preflop with T9s. It's a hand I love myself, but it's a drawing hand! Why raise big? You don't wanna chase people out! What's the point in stealing $1.5 in blinds?

Now on the flop you got a draw and bottom pair. I guess you're behind. Make a choise here - either try and buy it with a pot sized raise, or check it and fold to a reasonable bet.

Now on the turn your in trouble. Avoid getting yourself into this sort of situation because there's not much of a "right" way to play this, in my opinion. Even if you do hit a flush or a straight, you could still be beat.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 PM

Extra comment - this is a flop I feel very comfortable going to the felt with, even deep-stacked. What's your reaction to this feeling?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:39 PM

I think on the turn, I check-call a reasonable bet. On the flop, there's not much you can do if he doesn't raise your bet, losing you the chance to 3-bet big or get all-in. Could he be calling with something like an OESD, a T or a J, or something like KT-ish? Since he's passive, I don't think betting accomplishes much, but the problem is what you'd do if he bets big if you check to him.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Extra comment - this is a flop I feel very comfortable going to the felt with, even deep-stacked. What's your reaction to this feeling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, yeah. Unless my opponent is really tight and comes at me hard, I'm probably not letting this go on the flop.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:52 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Can you please explain why you'd want to raise 4x BB preflop with T9s. It's a hand I love myself, but it's a drawing hand! Why raise big? You don't wanna chase people out! What's the point in stealing $1.5 in blinds?

Now on the flop you got a draw and bottom pair. I guess you're behind. Make a choise here - either try and buy it with a pot sized raise, or check it and fold to a reasonable bet.

Now on the turn your in trouble. Avoid getting yourself into this sort of situation because there's not much of a "right" way to play this, in my opinion. Even if you do hit a flush or a straight, you could still be beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably just for deception and some bluff potential if an ace or blank cards comes up. It migth be harder for an opponent to put him on a possible straigth if he raised preflop.