Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Hand from Bellagion 5 Diamond

I agree that she played it fine, but it looks like a very easy hand considering her holding.

What do you think of that:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_vide...amp;event=2910

Is she kidding? Or just spending time while waiting? Or building her weak tight image?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think her line, especially given the image she had, was really great. Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo, I was thinking about this as well. I think if she checks behind on the flop, it looks like she has a showdown hand that is looking to get to showdown cheap or a monster. Either way, it is difficult for Gig to bluff in that situation. If she bets too big, it may look like she is committed tothe hand and again it would be too expensive for Gig to play back at.

I love her smallish flop size bet. It looks like it could very easily be a tester bet to see if her hand is good and obviously gives Gigabet an opportunity to play back at her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it worked, but I think a 1/3 pot bet after reraising preflop looks strange. I would probably bet 1/2 pot or slightly more to make it look like she was trying to take the pot with a continuation bet.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think her line, especially given the image she had, was really great. Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo, I was thinking about this as well. I think if she checks behind on the flop, it looks like she has a showdown hand that is looking to get to showdown cheap or a monster. Either way, it is difficult for Gig to bluff in that situation. If she bets too big, it may look like she is committed tothe hand and again it would be too expensive for Gig to play back at.

I love her smallish flop size bet. It looks like it could very easily be a tester bet to see if her hand is good and obviously gives Gigabet an opportunity to play back at her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it worked, but I think a 1/3 pot bet after reraising preflop looks strange. I would probably bet 1/2 pot or slightly more to make it look like she was trying to take the pot with a continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

She made what looks like a probe bet, it is difficult to fold to a probe bet, she was certainly expecting a raise. She could have Qs or Js. It is difficult to put her on AK there, the bet is smalish for that. But it is also difficult to draw to conclusions without being at the table and without knowing what Gigabet knew about her.

If he raises on the flop, I can imagine she could shove with AK, fold anything weaker or obviously call the raise with what she has.

But it wasn't the line Gigabet had in mind. Wasn't Gigabet just unlucky that she hold the near nuts? Or was it a really bad spot to try to make that kind of player put money in a pot planning to bluff her out on the river? The deuce was certainly not the card he was expecting for that? Shouldn't he have abort when the turn comes a brick?

I don't think that someone tight can fold AA or AK here or can put more money with QQ's or JJ's? Of course it is very easy to say that know. Gigabet seems to have the read that she can, right?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Eh, I really disagree. A flop check might lose her action, and the turn call was good - but both decisions are easy. Other than that, she did nothing special at all. I think it's very random she stacked Gigabet. If she potted the flop, I believe Giga should be MORE likely to run the play.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.

She was setting the stage for flopping the nuts in a reraised pot against one of the few players capable of running a 3 street bluff? I try for that every tournament.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I really disagree. A flop check might lose her action, and the turn call was good - but both decisions are easy. Other than that, she did nothing special at all. I think it's very random she stacked Gigabet. If she potted the flop, I believe Giga should be MORE likely to run the play.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please.

She was setting the stage for flopping the nuts in a reraised pot against one of the few players capable of running a 3 street bluff? I try for that every tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

She wasn't setting the stage for a play, but maybe she was setting Gigabet up to overplay his hand or bluff off a lot of chips.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM

JV,

"She was setting the stage for flopping the nuts in a reraised pot against one of the few players capable of running a 3 street bluff? I try for that every tournament. "

Please.

I don't know who this JJ is, but it is not uncommon in both cash and tourney situations to play in a seemingly weak-tight manner for a while with the goal of getting someone to push you around later.

It would not surprise me if that was what she was doing - and if that were the case, she'd call the river w/ AK, AA, maybe even less.

She did not need to wait for "flopping the nuts in a raised pot" just a hand that she wants to take a stand with against an aggressive player.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 PM

isn't that interesting that a tight player gets as much action than an agressive player? If you feel you can playback at a LAG because he certainly has nothing and you'll put the weak tight to the test because he will lay it down, that makes a case to play tight.

So if you build a weak tight image you can make a huge pot without holding the nuts. Isn't that weird?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

One thing there hasn't been much comment on is her play. I think her flop bet was really key to this hand and was great.

If she bets pot-ish here, Giga may well just be done with the hand.

If she checks behind, the stacks make it awkward for Giga to make a real serious play for this pot without taking an absurd risk. Maybe he takes a turn stab, but I don't see how she ends up stacking him.

[/ QUOTE ]

great point, one I certainly overlooked.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Most of the players in these events, who end up at my table for any length of time, end up basing their long term strategy around a way to take advantage of my seemingly reckless play. I usually can dodge the bullets and use it against them. However, JJ clearly got the best of me here. Her flop bet definitely was made with the intention of disguising the strength of her hand. She knows that she is getting something with her hand, if she checks behind, she knows that I will lead the turn, I rarely check it twice, so her having that hand while I am in the hand has inherent value, she however, was able to induce me to take over the business of controlling the size of the pot, by making the seemingly weak looking flop bet. I read the bet correctly, that she was "relatively" strong, and acted accordingly. With my read, that she may have well implanted, I knew that getting her off of the hand would be relatively easily done, if I could gain control of the pot. Once that happened, JJ was able to let me do all of her dirty work. Clearly her flop bet was engineered to get me to put alot more chips in than I would otherwise had she checked behind on the flop.

I'll bet she didn't think that I would be foolish enough to put as many as I did though. Probably make her alot more careful about the spots that she picks when involved with me. Doesn't matter how much you think a player is bluffing, when first place equals a new lifestyle for most people and the current spot can just catch most up on their late bills, calling that bet takes alot of courage without a very strong holding, even if the player in question induced me to make the "obvious" bluff.

As I was helping her stack her newly acquired million chips, I complemented her on her play, and mentioned that I had yet to give all of my chips to a nicer person. She was very graceful after the hand was over, and maybe even felt a little bad about me losing so many chips. I made certain that she knew that I really felt as if she deserved the chips, for her well thought out play. There is nothing bad that can be said of this woman, and she definitely deserves all of the good things that came together in this tournament for her. I would definitely enjoy playing HU with her, although, with my newly revised read of her thinking, she may find it quite a bit more difficult to get the chips from me.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 AM

GL Darrell. Must be surreal.