Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Default river screwplay

CO is 43/3/0.8
Button is 75/25 with a river AF of 2.8, but flop and turn both < 1

Party Poker 3/6 (6max, 6handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
1 fold, Hero raises, CO calls, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Button calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks...

this seems standard given his river AF, unless i think the ace on board will discourage bets from his smaller pairs.
bonus question: is this a spot where i should give up on the flop, or do i have to call a bet anyways with the possibility of 10 outs?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: river screwplay

I like this line, if you have say 50 hands on him or more.

This is an excellent spot to fire the flop, as many people put you on an ace and fold immediately often enough to make this good. Check/calling the flop would be wrong, although calling a raise after betting the flop would be ok.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:01 PM

easy flop bet. If raised, easy call. Fold turn UI. K or Q on the turn and you're in.... a tough spot... but 9 outs if behind to Ax.

Folding instead of calling reduces agression factor so this high AF wouldn't be indicitive of a chance to bet/3bet.

This might be a good time for this. A player with Ax will think it's good and valuebet... and most players will call your raise as well. Just keep in mind that with his large hand range, his Jx and Tx hands that he's calling with are probably checking behind but calling if you bet.

Screwplaying probably isn't too bad because you get 2 bets out of Ax, but then you miss one bet out of Jx and Tx... if his flop and turn fold numbers are high, then I give him credit for the ace, see his high agression and check/raise the river. If his flop and turn fold numbers are low, then he could just as easily have a jack or ten and I'm betting the river.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:12 PM

ok i have a theory about these guys with insane VPIP/river AF combos. I think they're getting it by always betting when HU OOP and the turn checks through. so I'm not sure it applies here, but still I think he'll take a shot often enough. I think he needs an ace though, a K or PP will take a free showdown. i would like it on a twotone flop where he might fire with a fd but not call a bet..
Old 12-24-2005, 09:32 PM

Like it. Villain doesn't even need a big AF (though obviously you want to do it more often against this type of guy); it's good against any non-pacifist. Making these plays at least once in a while is crucial if your opponents are at all observant.

[ QUOTE ]
is this a spot where i should give up on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

No way in Hell
Old 12-24-2005, 11:06 PM

wp. Metagame of getting a few rivers checked through for cheapshowdowns is also nice.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:19 PM

i just like betting.