Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Eliminating potential hands with preflop raises

Two examples, both of which happened today at the Party NL $2000 tables(blinds of $10/$20):

1. I’m in BB with AA. MP raises to $60. I reraise to $225. Flop comes 2-10-K. I decide to try for a check raise. It works, as he bets $250 and I re-raise to $750.

2. I’m in MP/LP with QQ. Everyone folds to me. I raise to $75. LP calls, blinds fold. Flop comes 4-6-6. I bet $125. He calls. Turn is another rag. I bet about $400.

In the first hand, he ended up having 10-K. In the second hand, he had A-6s. Luckily, I ended up even in this situations as I caught and broke him once and he broke me the other time(actually, I came out slightly ahead- even better). But clearly, I wasn’t in good situations here.

When making these raises, should I be able to eliminate hands like 10-K and A-6 from possible opponent’s holdings(and if someone does hold them then just chalk it up to a bad player who will eventually lose a bunch), or because of the deep stacks do I need to raise more in order to do that?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Eliminating potential hands with preflop raises

id say it depends on how deep of a stack you have. when i'm playing against players with at least 100 times the bb i will call lots of preflop raises and even reraise with marginal holdings. usually not something like k 10 or A6 though. i'm more likely to do it with 45 78 or something like that. if you have a read on him as a very good laggy opponent you can't eliminate these hands.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id say it depends on how deep of a stack you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always buy in for the full amount of $2000, as do 90% of the others in this game, which puts us at 100xBB to start out.

To make things easy, lets just assume that this is one of my first hands at the table, so I have just about $2000 and I have no reads on the opponent. Furthermore, his stack is comparable.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:29 PM

Not sure what you want?

Do you want someone to tell you to stop paying attention to how individual opponents play PF and how certain actions can/cannot limit there hand ranges.

Poker isnt about saying "he cant have that cause if he did hed be making a mistake"

Players make tons of mistakes (not saying his play was or was not a mistake in these hands).

Pay attn to which players will and will not call or make raises with marginal hands and act accordingly post flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 PM

You could also considering not paying off every time you raise PF...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:59 PM

1. Your reraise seems fine. Reraising a little more seems ok too. If it's a loose opponent you might not be able to eliminate any of his holdings. I think you charged him plenty to outdraw you.

2. This situation is a lot different becuase your opponent is getting implied odds to crack your big pair. I will call those raises all day if I think I will bust you if I can outflop a big pair. Ace six off suit no, but Ace six suited yes. You basically need to make a read on your opponent each hand, and you don't want your opponents to have a really good read on you. You don't want to go broke in this situation every time you get outflopped. I think raising the same amount with a broader hand range would help. That way when the flop comes 664 you m ight be the one holding A 6, 6 7, or maybe 44.