Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 AM

Default 3bet flop or see a turn? 25 PLO

25$ PLO. Villan and myself have 200 bbs.

Villan limps in MP I limp on button with rainbow AA45, sb folds BB checks.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, and MP checks really suspiciously, I dont know how to describe it really but it was a timing tell that set an alarm off in my head. Anyways I bet the pot at .85, BB calls, MP raises to 4$.

I have one spade in my hand FWIW.
Call and see a turn because most likely he has a set? Or repop it? Would you play it any differently with 100bb stacks?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: 3bet flop or see a turn? 25 PLO

I don't know why you would think on the flop when he checked that it was suspicious since he limped. But he also isn't going to be able as readily to put you on a set of As since you too limped. You could often smoothcall to set a trap, but there are so many straigtening cards both high and low as well as flush ones that you aren't going to like. So that would seem to dictate reraising. However the deepish stacks do factor in. By smoothcalling he will be more likely to put you on a draw and if a bad card comes on the turn, you will often be able to check behind and keep the pot smaller and see the river cheap if you want, or just bet the pot representing that hand and get him off a different draw with likely still the best hand if he just calls. Plus by not building a big pot, you keep him from being able to make a big bluff on the river when a really bad card comes.

But playing softer like this for the above considerations, comes at the price of losing money by not punishing middle set or top 2 when he doesn't have much to go with it other than maybe a gutshot draw. And you do have position to see his reaction to any card that comes if he doesn't escalate to getting allin on the flop. So I would repop it. But you are exposing yourself to having to make a difficult decision if he is known to be a tricky player and would bet the pot when any draw got there on the turn when he had a different draw, the same as he would if he actually made the hand. And the problem is that you don't know if he is drawing to a broadway straight or a wheel or a flush only along with two pair maybe, while you have no redraws.

The bottom line is that the more tricky he is, the more I am inclined to just call along even when a straight comes on the turn (because even though you have inadequte odds to fill you are factoring in that he might be bluffing), and the more straight-forward he plays, then the more likely I am to raise.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 AM

If he has a set, there are a lot of scare cards that are going to come that will scare him off the hand. If he has a draw, then you obviously want him to pay the most for it. There is very little point slowplaying in $25 PLO. Most players will not be able to get away from middle set here in an unraised pot at that level.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:19 AM

Sounds good, thanks guys.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:32 PM

If the board were not so draw heavy then I think a smoothcall would be in order since you have position. He would bet out on a brick turn and then you can raise, rarely in this circumstance will they give you credit for aces, but as everyone says there are too many turn cards that will either freeze him if he has only middle set