Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: LOST (spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive read an interview w/ the writers that said that they had the enitire story laid out from the beginning.

[/ QUOTE ]
really? hmmm, i could have swore i heard one of the actors on a late night show saying that they didn't know what was even going to happen cause the script isn't even finished. maybe i heard wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

The actors dont know what is going to happen. The writers do.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here was one big question I took from this week - how did Goodwin know to be dressed and ready to infiltrate the group of survivors? 10 minutes isn't enough time for him to have been with The Others, hear the crash, and then decide, "hey, put on some shoes and normal clothes and check things out". Is it possible that they were expecting the crash?

[/ QUOTE ]

it took ethan a bit longer to infiltrate, IIRC, so maybe they were just in that part of the island. but your idea is pretty damn intriguing.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:47 PM

The show is right on track where it needs to be.

Why show character development/background stories? Well a single TV season is long.

I think a full season is 24 episodes. Thats what the season1 dvd had. So basically you have 24 segments per season (usually 9 month period) and an hour show with commercials, you basically get a 44min show. With any big TV series, there will be programming high's and lows. Novemember is one of the sweeps months, so they are certainly trying to add plot twist to it.

I hardly at all watched season 1, but the show is still entertaining. Seen every season2 episode. An show will be lucky if it can run 5 full seasons. A show I did not watch was Alias. I think they made a 4 year run, but now Jennifer Garner being pregnant is leaving the show/taking time off. So saying Lost will go on 7+ seasons is pushing it. Just take it year by year.

They put it a lot of unknowns about the story line. So they can basically take an episode just to reveal one of the unknown facts. There you give your audience a taste, but still keep them pondering on the other questions in the story.

Several reasons I like the show. The directing is done real well. When you are following them through a jungle path, or for example like when the one guy was stuck in the tree this week, the director uses excellent camera angles to make you feel really in the jungle. Since they film out in Hawaii, the jungle/ocean shots they use look very unique. Also they use very little soundtrack/background music in the show. So there is always a basic silence (as if you were really in the jungle). These are simple concepts, but when combined with excellent directing and photography, it really captures the look of the show.

It should be noted, on darkhorizons, the producers said if a character dies on the island, unless its a random flashback, you will not see that character on the show anymore.

Also stare at a globe. If the plane ventured offcourse for nearly two hours, they can be anywhere in the south pacific, which is probably the most remote ocean location on the earth. Look on the globe for Hawaii, then go straight south to find the island of Samoa. Pretty big gap eh? Anywhere around Samoa is basically uninhabited.

I think what I really like about this show, is they give you clues or facts very covertly and quickly on the show. Example, two episodes ago in a flashback they show the young blonde Shannon, walking in the hospital where she finds her father died, for prob .5 sec on camera you see the lead character Jack walk by in his O.R. uniform. Very small pieces of info that you have to keep track of.

BTW- I think we should start a seperate Lost thread just on possible conclusions/story lines for the show. With no actual internet researched spoilers, just basic 2+2 heads working together to try to predict what comes next. Also if someone does not want a new discovered fact given away before airtime, the rest of us can share in that thread with no harm to someone that does not want to find the answer till airtime. I have a few theories myself on the plot. And a theory is no good, unless you have people to help you prove/disprove it.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, now I'm LOST. the guy who claimed to be from canada was not an other. he was wrongfully accused of being an Other.

the only Other that's been well kept is Goodwin. he didnt say he was from Canada did he? who's the other person you're referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]
My bad. Ethan from season 1 said he was from Toronto when Hurley was taking his census. I got confused about Nathan/Goodwin. You're right - Goodwin didn't say where he was from. Nathan said he was from Canada.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:11 PM

the parallel that I drew, which worries me, is X Files. for the first few seasons, X Files was the best drama/action/sci-fi show on TV. the alien/conspiracy plot line was very interesting, and trying to figure it all out kept viewers tuning in. problem was, instead of letting viewers figure it out, they just kept adding more and more questions/problems, and it got the point that there were so many contradictions that the writers could no longer answer all the questions. the show basically crashed and burned, and many questions have not been answered (and it's basically too late to sort it all out).

I worry somewhat about these same things happening to Lost, but my sense is that the writers have a much better "long term" grasp of where the show needs to be. like another poster stated, what's critical is that the writers figure out the sweet spot for how many seasons the show should run, and write the rest of the episodes with this in mind. if they just keep dragging it out, it will turn into the X files. if they decide to take the high road and make one of the best 3-4 seasons shows ever, then I think the potential is there.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok, now I'm LOST. the guy who claimed to be from canada was not an other. he was wrongfully accused of being an Other.

the only Other that's been well kept is Goodwin. he didnt say he was from Canada did he? who's the other person you're referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]
My bad. Ethan from season 1 said he was from Toronto when Hurley was taking his census. I got confused about Nathan/Goodwin. You're right - Goodwin didn't say where he was from. Nathan said he was from Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

a nice little red herring by the writers.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive read an interview w/ the writers that said that they had the enitire story laid out from the beginning.

[/ QUOTE ]
really? hmmm, i could have swore i heard one of the actors on a late night show saying that they didn't know what was even going to happen cause the script isn't even finished. maybe i heard wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think ive heard the actors dont know either.

but the writers know the story and where it's ultimately headed. the article i read said the writers are taking small liberties on how theyre getting there based on fan reactions.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:36 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
but the writers know the story and where it's ultimately headed. the article i read said the writers are taking small liberties on how theyre getting there based on fan reactions.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very good, I just hope they don't listen to the impatient, Veruca Salt types.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:39 PM

I think you missed a lot of what is key in this epp. It seems like rather than just watching, you're coming in with odd expectations that are preventing you from enjoying the show.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting a group (we've got two memebers so far) of "Lost Fans that Hate Lost Fans".

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha this is exactly what I think everytime I see a lost thread. I don't even open all of them anymore because I just expect to read about people bitching about the show.