Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Middle set - family pot

I lurk on these boards mostly, but wanted to post this hand. I think I played it well, but I've been running really bad lately and wanted some impartial response to the hand.

I don't really like to re-raise in this situation pre-flop. I was planning to re-raise on the flop (like I did) or to put a big raise in on the turn. I am sort of second-guessing the size of my re-raise, thinking it should have been more.

Given the pre-flop action, I feel like QQ would've put in a big re-raise before the flop, so I am not at all worried about set over set. Otherwise, I have no trustworthy reads at this point.

Will post results later.

Total number of players : 6 ($1/$2 blinds, Party 6-max)
Seat 1: Hero - Cutoff( $169.95)
Seat 2: Button ( $55.1)
Seat 3: SB ( $169.7)
Seat 4: BB ( $24.35)
Seat 5: Villain ( $146.7)
Seat 6: MP ( $102.1)
SB posts small blind (1)
BB posts big blind (2)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Villain calls (2) MP raises (4) to 4 Hero calls (4) Button calls (4) SB calls (3) BB calls (2) Villain calls (2)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
SB checks. BB checks. Villain checks. MP bets (4) Hero calls (4) Button raises (8) to 8 SB calls (8) BB folds. Villain calls (8) MP calls (4) Hero raises (56) to 60
Button calls (43.1) Button is all-In. SB folds. Villain calls (52) MP folds.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain checks. Hero bets (83) Villain calls (82.7) Villain is all-In.

I admit that, at this point, I did not even think about a read on the Villain. Like I said earlier, I wasn't worried about QQ. I also did not think he would have called my re-raise on the flop with 79, but I could be wrong. Should I have checked behind? Made a smaller bet?

** Dealing River ** : [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Creating Side Pot 1 with $183.2 with Villain

<font color="white"> </font>
Old 02-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Middle set - family pot

I think your raise was appropriate. That turn and river makes me nervous.

Regarding villain... I'm more inclined to him having pocket 6s or 2 pair. Though I've certainly seen people limp with high pocket pairs, there's no point in assuming people are slowplaying pocket Qs unless you have a read that they do that sort of thing a lot.

I hope you won it.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Interesting hand.

I think your preflop play is fine.

On the flop, I think you got a bit lucky that button put in a raise behind you. That was risky cause the board does have a draw on it. After that I like your raise - played fine IMO.

I think pushing on the turn is debatable, but I think its the right move. I can't really put him on 79 in that position, calling your post flop raise like that. Your fold equity is zero, bu in any case you are committed. If you are ahead, you need to push now cause he may not come along for all his chips on the river. If you are behind, hes probably dragging you all in anyway.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:41 PM

I've been thinking about it and I really don't know what other play I have on the turn other than pushing. If I make any smaller bet, I'm totally committed regardless of the river card. If I check behind, and the Villain moves in on a blank river card, I still think I have to call ($300 would be in the pot for an $80 call).