Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM

Default aces post flop

I play at the $25 pokerstars NL tables. I seem to have a problem of losing my whole stack with pocket aces if someone flops a set. What I would like to know, is this because I'm not very good, or because that's the kind of thing that happens in poker?

For instance:
Today I had AA UTG+1. Raised 3BB and got several callers. Flop was unconnected and rainbow. I bet pot sized and was raised half my stack. I pushed. Okay, the push is bad, but I'm thinking this guy could have TPTK. I feel like folding is a weak move. If I call I give him a chance to bet again with maybe a worse hand, where as with the push I'm only going to get called by a better hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: aces post flop

the push is not bad. Don't ever think the push is bad. just because the guy reraised doesn't mean he has set.He could have overpair like KK, QQ.

Also, raise more than 3BB preflop. more like 6BB preflop. if you get reraised preflop, push.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:13 PM

Los,

This used to be a HUGE leak in my game. Routinely I would get AA/KK/QQ and 2/3 callers, rag rag rag hits the flop, I bet get raised, I would reraise and end up giving my money to a flopped two pair/set or flush draw. I have learnt to calm down heavily on the turn and river, if my pre-flop raise and flop bet are called. You are usually beaten. Especially if you hold lets say AA and the flop comes KJ3 etc. Some numnut will have called your preflop raise with KJ, JJ or 33 and have you beat or have Q10 and be drawing. The only hand you might realistically make a stack of money from here is AK.

My advice is pump it pre-flop, pump the flop and slow down if called by 1 or 2 people. However, I would say that this is also quite read dependent - if you think someone is drawing then make them pay - sometimes they will suck out on you, sometimes they won't!

Jon
Old 09-15-2004, 03:17 PM

You say raise 6BB preflop. Is that because it should be my standard raise, because I have aces, or because of my position? Or some combination there of?

If I understand your response, you would say my play was fine asside from the preflop raise? And if that's the case, is this just one of the hands where all your money ends up in the pot?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:20 PM

3BB is waaaay to weak at Party 25NL.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:27 PM

it should be your standard raise.

don't vary raise amount based on what you have.

yes your play was fine aside from preflop raise being too low. You want all your money in the pot with AA.

I mean I think your real question comes down to how do I know villain flopped a set? Does villain's flop reraise indicate a flopped set when the flop is rainbow?

First, most would slow play a flopped set on a rainbow board trying to lure in TP. So in this situation I would not expect set too often.

Also, you have to say to yourself, how often do you expect villain to make this play with overpairs (KK, QQ) and how often do you expect them to make this play with a set?

Also, with a higher preflop raise, you are able to more effectively limit the possibility of hands that can see the flop.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:34 PM

The question wasn't so much how do I tell if villian has a set, but should I be able to tell that villian has a set. Also, I was curious if this is just something that happens or if it was leak in my game. Somethings in poker you can't avoid, like going broke from set over set (I would think).

Anyway, thanks for you input, its been helpful.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:35 PM

I don't think its something you can tell unless if you have a really good read on the villain.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3BB is waaaay to weak at Party 25NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's playing Poker Stars.

Bet at least 4xBB pre flop, throw a pot sized bet on flop. If you get callers or raises consider calling it down.