Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 07:23 AM

Default failed bluff attempt

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed)

MP1 ($670.25)
MP2 ($987)
MP3 ($1511.45)
CO ($225)
Hero ($1000)
SB ($959)
BB ($1488.10)
UTG ($1000)
UTG+1 ($1302)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $10, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $30</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $30, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls $20.

Flop: ($105) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $99</font>, MP1 calls $99, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($303) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($303) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $871 (All-In)</font>, MP1 calls $541.25 (All-In).

Final Pot: $1715.25
Old 08-19-2004, 07:35 AM

Default Re: failed bluff attempt

Well, that sucked. Did you really call 3x the big blind with 97o? The stacks are relatively deep and all, plus you have the button, but damn... 97o? I don't like the river bet, anyway. Unless your opponent just happens to be on the exact same draw as you, I think he's got something and I don't think he can put you on a particularly big hand given the way you played.

Are you sure you're not really MP3 here?

Edit: Come to think of it, you didn't even say you were in this hand.

SpaceAce
Old 08-19-2004, 09:19 AM

Outplay with position!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:39 AM

he wants to play a big pot with MP3 with position and a well disguised hand. I don't think calling $30 is a bad move at all.

I like the move on the river as long as MP1 is sane, he'll fold a lot of hands here. it's hard to put MP1 on a hand without any info, since he would play many hands this way. I don't think he's full, it's just too likely to get checked through on the river and after checking the turn he's a favorite to get paid off by something weaker. he limped early and then called a raise back to him but didn't reraise, usually people do that with pocket pairs. but he could have connected diamonds or something like that. really need to know what range of hands he'll limp and call a raise with in order to make a read I think.

the only thing I don't like about it is risking 541 to win 303, something that never comes up in PL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

--turnipmonster
Old 08-19-2004, 12:16 PM

this is a tough spot to bluff in. the call on the flop likely means a flush draw (AJd A9d KJd etc) or a straight draw (97, JK).

it's pretty possible that MP hit his flush on the turn and checked planning on c/r but missed, and then checked the river assuming that worse hands would fold but might bluff.

it would be nice to know something about the player to know if KQ is a possible hand, and whether he could fold KQ or AQ here. if the villain is tight enough to fold AQ then i think pushing to represent the FH could be a good play.

i'm also surprised to see a cold-call with 97o. for one thing, if the flop comes 99x, you're outkicked by any possible hand containing a 9. seems like if you don't flop an OESD, trip 7s, or 79x you're going to be hard pressed to continue.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:33 PM

For bluffs on the river in these kinds of situations, I like betting about the pot instead. Moving all in is a little suspect like you missed a draw and you are trying to win the pot the only way you can. A pot sized bet looks more like you are trying to get paid off. Is it possible your opposition is on a flush draw that made it? Once the board pairs on the river is he laying down a flush to a suspected set? I suppose thats what you are representing. I suspect he called with a flush, but if he called with a pair then thats just a good call.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:45 PM

you are representing trips on the turn and a full house on the river and are trying to fold out a flush with that river push, but alot of players dont seem to fold their flush there. its a pretty standard bluffing spot, and he can see that. id give 30% or more that you are bluffing. further, if i were the villian i would expect you to just bet the river if you filled up there.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:12 PM

My reason for posting is more of a question than comment on the play of the hand. I certainly don't play large NL games (mostly $25 or $50 buy-in games on Party). If you had actually flopped a set, would you really have checked behind your opponent on the turn? I agree that it's a great spot to check-raise if he did hit a flush, but I think the check on the turn is what killed the bluff on the end.

Again, this post is for my education more than anything, so please let me know what's wrong with my thinking.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:27 PM

Although he might have checked the turn, it's very likely he would bet the river with a full house, so you're not likely to be against the nuts. OTOH you could have the hand your representing, since a set may well check behind the turn when the flush became possible. So you're in a situation where you can credably represent a hand that you know is very likely to be beating your opponent, a good situation for a bluff. If I knew the opponent was decent, I would think this is an ideal situation for the bluff.

Cheap shot's suggestion of just betting the pot is an interesting one.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Default results

oops! he had T9o.