Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-23-2005, 11:39 AM

Default A 99 hand

Party 3/6(6 max 6 players). New to the table villian hasn't been out of line during the few orbits i have been there. He has been sucked out on a couple of times and has been berating players and seems a little tilty.

Pre flop: Folds to me in the CO and i open raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], folds to BB who calls.

Flop(2 players 4.5sb): A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB donks [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and i call.

Turn(2 players 3.25bb): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets and i call.

River(2 players 5.25bb): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks and i check.

Okay his flop donk threw me and i was unsure how to deal with it. I had a hard time believing someone donks an ace here maybe a king or flush draw which i am behind both on the turn. Is this pot just small enough to let this go on the flop? Since i did stay in the hand should i have bet the river? This was one of those hands where i had no clue so i just called down.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: A 99 hand

I think you should have raised this flop, you will then often get to showdown cheaply and may not have to put any money in. You have a lot of fold equity by raising this flop.

I don't know why you call this turn if you are behind a K and a flush draw to a 9. You are getting 4.25:1 on the call and you don't have implied odds if you aren't betting this when checked to.

You also have reverse implied odds which are very high when you make the flush and lose.

I let this go on the turn played as you did. If I did't I bet this river when checked to.

True
Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 AM

Thanks True. Are you bet/folding the turn if just called on the flop raise?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would
Old 12-23-2005, 12:01 PM

I don't understand why you didn't bet the river.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you didn't bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither..
Old 12-23-2005, 12:13 PM

Raising the flop isn't a good plan. Fold equity isn't important here, because they're folding a bluff, basically.

I would've raised the turn to take a free showdown or bet a spade river.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:17 PM

I drop this on the flop against alot of opponents. This is just an ugly hand where good stuff doesn't happen unless you hit one of your two outs. The pot's 2BB's and by calling the flop you get into alot of crappy situations.

Your turn call looks good, (although you could be drawing to 2 outs at this point).

Your river check behind is attrocious. He's got a scared A here a whole lot. Easy value bet/call.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never raise this flop.

If I did raise this flop I am DEFINITELY checking behind this turn. Check out the "checking with outs" chapter in SSH. We don't want to get C/R'd here and pretty much any hand that villian's got here is doing so except a lone king. That's not folding ever, so we have really no fold equity. Betting this turn after raising this flop is probably the least profitable line we could come up with for this hand.

edit: To be more clear. The only reason to raise that flop is because we suspect the villian is on a spade draw. No K or A is ever folding here. When that spade falls on the turn, there is absolutely no reason to bet.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never raise this flop.

If I did raise this flop I am DEFINITELY checking behind this turn. Check out the "checking with outs" chapter in SSH. We don't want to get C/R'd here and pretty much any hand that villian's got here is doing so except a lone king. That's not folding ever, so we have really no fold equity. Betting this turn after raising this flop is probably the least profitable line we could come up with for this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Joshua if we hadn't picked up the flush draw are you bet/folding the turn? If you check the turn are you folding the river UI?