Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 01:48 AM

Default No Bullets Left

Bellagio 30-60. UTG limps, I'm next with 55 and limp (loose, passive game generally at the time). One other limper and a mid position player raises. He plays decently postflop but has somewhat loose opening standards. Also, he tends to continue pushing hands in situations where it might be better to take a free card. One other player (loose) coldcalls and the blinds fold.

We see the flop four-handed and it comes down 9-4-2 rainbow. UTG checks, I bet, PRF raises, loose player calls cold (could be any pair, overcards, etc...I think a nine 3-bets on his part). Folded back to me and I call.

Three of us see the turn card: offsuit 7 (9-4-2-7). I check, PFR bets, loose guy folds and I call.

I strongly considered checkraising this turn card. Is that valid or should I just call down here (does anyone like a fold - I don't really)? I think raising this turn gets him to fold his worst overcard hands (and possibly better ones). Maybe even something like 88 folds, but who knows. Anyway, I call.

The river is an offsuit 10 and I check with the intention of calling a bet. How botched is this hand, if at all?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-17-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: No Bullets Left

Format this please - line spacing, etc.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:57 AM

What about 3 betting the flop or donking again on the turn? I'd be worried about him taking a free card on the turn and you will get a much more clear picture of whether or not you need to be showdown bound.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-17-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about 3 betting the flop or donking again on the turn? I'd be worried about him taking a free card on the turn and you will get a much more clear picture of whether or not you need to be showdown bound.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I have stopped doing this against opponents like this is that sometimes they will go crazy with AK or AQ, or maybe some crap like JT. Here, given the OP's description, I don't think we have to be worried about giving free cards. I think the benefits of getting to a showdown cheaply outweigh the benefits of trying to charge him (which he would probably do himself anyways).

-DrG
Old 12-17-2005, 05:40 AM

This one looks fine to me Jeff. I really think a turn checkraise would have been great though. You are pretty sure that you are ahead at this point and the pot is already getting big enough that you don't mind taking it down right away. The question is, against this guy, if he three bets the turn what is your move?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 AM

I like to check these types of flops and reevaluate my situation after the pfr bets. In this situation I'd prolly check call the flop and donk the turn if there was no raise on the flop
Old 12-17-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to check these types of flops and reevaluate my situation after the pfr bets. In this situation I'd prolly check call the flop and donk the turn if there was no raise on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, seems to be the cheapest path
Old 12-17-2005, 02:59 PM

Except that you are much more likely to be raised by a hand like AQ on the turn making this "suspect" play in my experience. So, you are betting the turn planning to fold to a raise? Because I think that is setting yourself up to be moved off the best hand...I personally think a bet is going in (turn follow through) by this opponent the vast majority of the time so he is charging himself anyway if behind. Just my perspective...

Jeff
Old 12-17-2005, 03:30 PM

Jeff, you described this game as loose passive...would someone really raise the turn with a hand like AQ? On the turn there are still 3 players involved which would make it seem less likely this would occur.

I like the check call flop, donk turn line. I think for sure you are beat if raised there. I'd hate to be raised off the best hand, but I'd also hat to have to go check/check and then have someone that would have folded spike an overcard.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Except that you are much more likely to be raised by a hand like AQ on the turn making this "suspect" play in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
AQ would be going for a free showdown here right? If he's likely to do that with overcards, call the turn raise and fold to a river bet.

The way you played the hand, I have trouble telling how much your opponent's range is limited by his flop raise, if its limited at all. If he's raising the flop with any two, a turn check-raise sounds good. If it's mainly with pairs and strong ace-hi's, how about check-calling the turn and bet-folding the river hoping to get a bet from the strong aces that will check behind.