Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Supersatellite hand

10 players left with 6 places in Paradise supersatellite for $200 tournament. I am in 6th place, having played no hands in the last 20 hands since doubling up. It is passed to me on the button with ATo. I have T26K, SB has T81K, and BB has T21K, before posting. Blinds 3000/6000/300. SB and BB are both threats to call. BB is short stacked and SB is chip leader who has built a big stack by playing strong hands without regard to satellite strategy. What should I do?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Supersatellite hand

I pushed. The big stack called with AQo and busted me.

There were 3 real short stacks out of 9 shortly after this, so I figured the play was loose enough that I could have folded to a seat.

A button push with 4xBB and ATo is standard in a regular tournament. I had about an 80% of winning the hand or picking up the blinds, either of which should lock up a seat.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:44 PM

Was a good push. Most of the time it would be:

[ QUOTE ]
I pushed. The big stack called with A9-A2, KQ, etc. and doubled me up, after which I cruised to a seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly the picture is a little more complicated because its a satellite, but with you only in 6th position, its very likely that one or more of the shorter stacks will double up and you'll have to do so too if you want to win a seat. This is as good a chance as any.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 PM

Too good of a hand to fold on the button. You're in 6th and top 6 get their seat so you're not guarenteed to fold into a spot yet. You pick up the blinds right here and I'm guessing you would have moved up to 4th or 5th in chips since the pot already has 12,000 in it which probably let's you coast from there.