Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 02:21 PM

Default From STT\'s to ring games

Hi there, I've been playing stt's for about 6 months now to some reasonable success and would now like to try small stakes no limit ring games. I don't want to get burnt as I have tourny survival tactics etched in my brain. Has anyone got any ideas discussions in helping me on this matter. Help with bankroll ideas for ring games, would also help. Thanks and be as lucky as you deserve.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: From STT\'s to ring games

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks and be as lucky as you deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a heavy statement.

A few thoughts:

Whenever I play in the low level stt's for fun I am always surprised at how easy they are. You just wait until the morons kill themselves off before playing a solid shorthanded game. Thats where most of the real play occurs.

So, I would suspect that your skills now are better fitted to a shorthanded 5 or 6 max game than full ring. I would recommend you start there. Other than that I think the biggest differences are the importance of being patient and the relative unimportance of blind stealing. And oh yeah, people will end up all-in less, so you need to respect that more than in the STT's.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:15 PM

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 02-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Read the FAQ, there's some help in there. Post hands, you'll get some good constructive criticsm. Read threads, a lot of good stuff.

A main thing to remember is you want to win money, not pots.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:24 PM

I have similar questions. I'm mostly a SNG player, but am looking to start a home game and start playing some live ring games for fun, so I'd like to develop those skills on line. In the SNG, as was said, when blinds are low, you're looking to preserve chips for later, so in EP and MP you're almost exclusively raising QQ-AA, AK, and maybe limping with 66+ and KQs, AQ. This is a little tight for a full ring game, no? If it's limped/folded to you in LP, what kinds of hands are limping with? If folded to you in CO/Button, what are you raising with? How does TPTK play in ring games? Say you limp in MP with AJ and hit a JT3 rainbow flop and get a 3/4 pot raise in front of you. Are you strongly suspecting JT two pair, or trips, more so than you can afford to worry about that in a SNG?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 PM

Making the transition really isn't as tough as you might think. It is much more difficult for me to go back into a "tourny" mentality. The main difference I think is loosening up for cash games. In a SNG you mainly want to stick to playing the premium hands, in a cash game marginal holdings become playable. SC's,Axs,Kxs and small pairs are all much more valuable in a cash game. You can forget about stealing blinds as it is just not worth it, since they never go up. Since there is no fear of "busting out" for either you or your opponent , you must be willing to gamble a little more. This doesn't mean you should play like a maniac but being ultra-tight won't get it done either. JMO