Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Is Phil Helmuth Playing With a Full Deck??

[ QUOTE ]
For 30 minutes, I raised every pot in the dark to the max before the flop, and bet out on every street all the way to the river, unless someone else bet or raised, and then I would look. I have used this routine before, and I’ll use it again. I believe that this is a good thing for all players to try at some point in their poker careers (it’s called experimentation).

[/ QUOTE ]

A quote from Famous Phil's latest CardPlayer article. (this was an 8-16 game)Comments welcome.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Is Phil Helmuth Playing With a Full Deck??

i hope players start playing blind against phil hellmuth in wpt events just to see what happens when they crack his aces.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:04 AM

I vaguely remember Phil mentioning this before in one of his books. He claims that a freind of his would pull these tactics in order to set them up for traps later in his session.

Trust me, it doesn't work.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:22 PM

This whole playing blind thing intrigues me I did it the other night in a 2-5 NL game and it worked out for the better....I was thinking about doing it in a small tourny such as the TS 60 dollar one on Saturdays atleast for the first couple levels since its such a crap shoot.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:43 PM

I think it's a fantastic idea. Try it at low buy in tourney or micro ring game, and watch how other players react.

I think it drives home the fact that people aren't psychic -
they have no idea at all what you have, especially online. The only way they get any information is by how much you bet and the way you bet it.

I think it's a great way to nail that lesson home.

Of course if he's trying it as a strategy then it might be a different story.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:28 PM

Very simple counter strategy: Fold when you have a bad hand, just call with good hands. To answer the Subject line question: No

GG
Old 04-23-2005, 04:35 PM

I did something similair to this once in the Party .50-1 Game to blow off some steam.

I raised and reraised every hand preflop and every street got raised to the max even if i had no hope of winning it. It reduced my stress level by quite a bit. I had the pot average on that table in the $25-30 range.

I was also called quite a few names by some of the players on that table when they lost to me when a miracle two outer hit the river.

It was quite enjoyable.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:40 PM

i've posted this before...I LOVE doing this.

when i'm running cold i take $40 to the .50/$1 table and announce to the table i'll be playing every hand. some good, some bad, but always a reaction...and now you have the players reacting to you. i've never won huge playing this way, but i've never really taken a beating either. it's a fun way to play, although i don't know if it would work at much higher limits.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A quote from Famous Phil's latest CardPlayer article. (this was an 8-16 game)Comments welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to point out that from the perspective of Phil Hellmuth's bankroll, an 8/16 game would be roughly the equivalent of a .02/.04 game for your typical small stakes player. I know that I've blown off steam on Party .50/1 before, and the 2+2 tables quickly adopt this style of play. I don't think it's such a terrible thing to do from time to time, provided you have the bankroll to easily absorb the loss.

Personally, I'd say wearing a baseball cap with that ridiculous "PH" logo on it is much, much worse.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 AM

Personally, I'd say wearing a baseball cap with that ridiculous "PH" logo on it is much, much worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but what about a cap with a ridiculous "Ultimate Fillmaff" logo?