Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Inexperienced player needs advice

Im a very inexperienced player, been lucky enough to win some money without really knowing what I am doing. Currently reading one of Skalanskys books, which is difficult to understand at times, but Im starting to get it. Last night played my friends, and I couldnt catch a starting hand all night. When I got good cards, I was able to play them well, but with getting almost no good cards, my friends were just racking up money playing terrible, while I was at a standstill but not playing stupid. My question is how are you supposed to win on nights when the cards just are not coming up for you? How would I use what little knowledge I have to beat my friends who are getting good hands, but will basically play dumb? I know this is very green for this site and board, but Im learning and just wanted some advice.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Inexperienced player needs advice

Very often the best hand wins at Hold 'Em. Playing well means playing well with whatever you're dealt. Sometimes that means a lot of folding; and the greatest players in the world have plenty of losing nights. Poker is not like an ATM where you can think "I play much better than anyone else at the table -- think I'll pick up some spending money tonight."

See the Microlimits FAQ for a good introduction to this site and learning Hold 'Em.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is how are you supposed to win on nights when the cards just are not coming up for you? How would I use what little knowledge I have to beat my friends who are getting good hands, but will basically play dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

In some sessions you just simply won't win no matter what you do, especially if the cards aren't coming. When your friends play dumb, which often means calling along or not betting/raising their good hands, you beat them in the long run because they don't charge you the maximum for your losses. And the times you get your cards, you'll make 'em pay the max.

A fact of poker is that you will have losing sessions, but by reading the 2+2 books, this site, and posting hands for analysis, you'll ultimately wind up beating your friends, (that is if they don't improve... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ....

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:55 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
My question is how are you supposed to win on nights when the cards just are not coming up for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't.

You don't win every night. Or even close to every night. Sometimes you go weeks (playing every day) where you don't win.

Fun game, huh?

b
Old 07-16-2005, 06:36 PM

When you have the same 3-5 calling stations go to showdown every time, one of them HAS to win the pot. Some days you just get no good cards and the ones you do get either get busted or don't improve, etc.

Nobody wins every "session", Sklansky has sat down at the table before and got up several hours later down many many many BB's. So has Greg Raymer, so has Doyle Brunson, etc.

However they know that the whole idea of a "session" is a man made invention. THere are no such things as "sessions", it's one LONNNNNNNNNNG poker game. Every now and then the stakes and opponents change but you are still playing one long game.

Monday you win $50, Tuesday you win $100, Wednesday you win $20, Thursday you lose $50.

Should you be all pissed off cuz you "lost" $50 on Thursday? You can't view this as being "down" 50, but rather up $120 as opposed to up $170.