Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 03:28 AM

Default One From the Archives...

[ QUOTE ]
Now if you read HEPFAP, the starting hands are a little more general, you are allowed to limp, and David and Mason make it a point to say you have to have a hand that you would raise with to call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

-slavic

What???

I don't remember reading that in HEPFAP... From what I understand, the cold-call hands are AJs and KQs... the rest is re-raise or fold.

I'm re-raising with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT/AKs/AKo/AQs/AQo from MP2 on down, and adding medium pocket pairs, KJs, KQo, AJo and A8+s from MP3 on up. Am I missing something?

Should I be cold-calling with KQo from the CO against and TA-A UTG+1 raise?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: One From the Archives...

i generally don't.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:11 AM

Well I have always went by Abdul's advice.

"If you are facing a raise by AQo,77 or better. Then you can call with AQs barely."

I am mucking AJs and KQs, and just calling with AQs. AQo, KQo goes in the muck vs a legit raise.

Unless the opponent has a higher than average Preflop raise %, I am very wary to 3 bet them with less than an optimal holding, unless I feel they are stealing. Then all bets are off. (gamb00ling pun)
Old 06-19-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am mucking AJs and KQs, and just calling with AQs. AQo, KQo goes in the muck vs a legit raise.

Unless the opponent has a higher than average Preflop raise %, I am very wary to 3 bet them with less than an optimal holding, unless I feel they are stealing. Then all bets are off. (gamb00ling pun)

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how do people maintain a higher VP$IP in more aggressive games where a flop is rarely seen without a raised pot pre-flop?

I just don't get it.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:29 PM

I have no idea. Of course my VPIP is right where yours is at about 14.5%

Only way I see it going higher is to do what you are suggesting by 3 betting more liberally with the hands you suggest, when you are on or can get the button.

OR play in softer games where there are at least 3 fish with VPIP over 33%. (My personal table selection criteria)
Old 06-19-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how do people maintain a higher VP$IP in more aggressive games where a flop is rarely seen without a raised pot pre-flop?

I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a very agressive game, you have to understand that people may be raising with lesser holdings. Also, if opponents play weak tight, ocassionally calling with the worst of it, in order to make a play at the pot later allows for some loser "cold-calls". This really should only account for a very small % of your coldcalls, but is a pretty powerful weapon against the right opponents.

Edit: I'd also make the calls with hands with big implied odds like small suited connectors or little pairs, not dominated hands.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 AM

I asked myself this question a couple days ago too. I figured the only way was to find better games. I'm now paying attention to the table PFR numbers and if it gets up around 9 or 10 I start to look for a better spot.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think its about blind defense/steals.

You only have 10,000 hands recorded...quit worrying about your VPIP. Just keep playing good.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You only have 10,000 hands recorded...quit worrying about your VPIP

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 06-20-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You only have 10,000 hands recorded...quit worrying about your VPIP

[/ QUOTE ]