Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Bad credit ratings...

This post isn't really about a credit rating; it's actually about me giving other players wayyyy too much credit on a regular basis. I played alot of live $1/$2 NLHE for a few months and decided to give $100 NLHE online a try. I made a big score my first few days, but I've gradually given it back, largely in part to loose calls where I could only beat a bluff for the most part. (Generally holding something like top pair with a weak kicker). In each situation, I see the bluff possibility mainly because I know a bluff should work in that situation against another player(in other words, I'd probably try it). I guess what I am doing is projecting my own logic into other players actions, when assuming that anyone's play is similar to mine is just reckless for the most part.

What aggrivates me is that I make alot of super calls and folds otherwise(fold bigger hands, call with weaker hands), but those plays are generally more logic based. I know that there's a good chance they are bluffing because of what I've observed throughout the session.

These other calls I am making almost seem to say "I just gotta see it!" When I make the call, I don't even realize until afterwards that I forgot to even put my opponent on a range of possible hands that I could beat. I just click call and say "I knew it!" as he shows me the nuts.

It drives me nuts. One or two of these calls in a session and I feel like a true donk. Anyone else ever had a similar problem? It's the biggest leak in my game as far as I can see. I believe it occurs mostly when I am distracted, so maybe some 2+2ers will have some advice on focusing during online play.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Bad credit ratings...

Yes, I do it all the time. I think part of it stems from greed; you want to take the pot down so bad, you start coming up with reasons as to why you should call. The other part of the problem is a lack of discipline. You know you're beat, but you call because it's so easy to- all it takes is a click of a button.
What I do is keep a record of all my blowups, and post them online whenever it happens. Public humiliation is a good deterrent for getting out of line, at least for me.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:07 PM

After about 4 hours of good poker, I made another donk call. I outdrew my opponent, but I let them know how much of an idiot I was.

Bang584: ATTENTION TABLE: I JUST GOT OUTPLAYED
Bang584: ima bad player
Bang584: but bad players get lucky too
Old 12-29-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In each situation, I see the bluff possibility mainly because I know a bluff should work in that situation against another player(in other words, I'd probably try it). I guess what I am doing is projecting my own logic into other players actions, when assuming that anyone's play is similar to mine is just reckless for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the crux of your problem... I'm personally working past this now. GL.