Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Default 14 Months Clean

I was riding home with my wife last night it was her one year mark of being clean(12-27). Naturally we were doing some reflecting and noted that some people no doubt think we're crazy, or whatever, because I was one the most reluctant converts ever. It has been amazing to see what God has done in our lives in just one year.

The point is that we are changed people. We don't think, act,or feel the same about so many things. These changes came from the Holy Spirit-I can imagine the responses as I type this. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Anyway I stated that those who don't believe won't get it until they get it, because when you do it is that day and night. There is no test to produce any empirecal evidence that I or my wife are different yet we know. While I understand why some can't/won't believe, the expierience of God is as real anything to me.

Some that don't believe will say "whatever works", or "just another junkie conversion" which I am well aware of. I do wonder though since I made these statements yet have neither no way to prove them nor any reason to lie on a message board where does that leave us? Here I guess.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: 14 Months Clean

Congratulations to you and the missus for making a positive change in your lives and sticking with it.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:27 PM

I was going to say something derisive and anti-christian as usual, but that's a little cruel even for me and you don't seem dumb enough to deserve it.

Congrats [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 PM

That's awesome! Congrats. I do want to try to politely respond to one thing you said:

[ QUOTE ]
I do wonder though since I made these statements yet have neither no way to prove them nor any reason to lie on a message board where does that leave us? Here I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are lots of ways you could prove that your life changed after you became a Christian. Being an ex-Christian, I know that a lot of people's lives are changed when they start practicing Christianity. Nobody's life changes just by walking down the isle and saying a prayer, though. Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of natural reasons why a person's behaviors and attitudes can and often do change when they start practicing Christianity. I don't think most atheists would think you are lying about this. I've seen it many times -- it's a very common occurrence.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:39 PM

Thanks Hm. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 04:54 PM

majQa'
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of natural reasons why a person's behaviors and attitudes can and often do change when they start practicing Christianity. I don't think most atheists would think you are lying about this. I've seen it many times -- it's a very common occurrence.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that through trial and error I finally figured out that this was no way to live? The behavioral part of that I can maybe agree with, but my attitude, and my thoughts on things don't fit IMO.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Klingon I suppose?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is that we are changed people. We don't think, act,or feel the same about so many things. These changes came from the Holy Spirit-I can imagine the responses as I type this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you that you are now living a healthier happier life. As far as the changes coming from or being caused by the Holy-Spirit this is a completely unjustified claim. It may well be that the BELIEF in God caused you to alter your behavior and change your life, but you cannot logically conclude from this that God did it. Consider the possibility that there is no God that meddles in human affairs, you could have still had the spiritual awakening and life changing experience you had.

90% of people believe they are more physically attractive than average. This belief for the most part improves their lives, both in the cases where it is true and in the cases where it is not.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 PM

Means "well done"