Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: I found $640: now what?

Thats why I said works at a bank, but not at a mall. I would be incredibly surprised if the teller stole it.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
leehrat,

I think you're way overestimating the personality present in a corperation like BofA. If anyone steals the money, it will be the teller or other employee, not the company.

Always Happy to Enlighten,
RunDownHouse

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easy to counter: If you don't get the call, call up the branch manager and ask if the money was claimed. I kind of doubt it will be walked off with, banks take precautions against having their employees walk off with money.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:10 PM

I would think it would be difficult or unlikely for the teller to steal the money herself, as banks are sort of completely dependent upon having honest banktellers handle large transactions daily, as well as having safeguards in place to ensure the honesty of those tellers.

The place is full of cameras and they probably have a whole beaurocratic procedure for handling things like this, documentation, oversight by managers, etc.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a cunning teller to steal this money, but these tellers deal with much larger sums of cash, and if they havn't stole that by now, then this sum probably isn't worth risking their job over.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:14 PM

I would have just kept the money and told the teller than if someone lost it they can have my number to call. That way you know you're getting the money when nobody calls and someone from the bank isn't just [censored] you.

well, actually, i would have just taken the money and not told anyone, but if I wouldn't have taken the money, that is what I would have done.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could have let them know you found some money in the parking lot and left your number. if anyone lost the money have them call you, then you ask them how much it was and in what denominations. that way you dont get screwed over by the bank people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. You are doing the right thing for the person as anybody who lost the money would probably go back to the bank if they were looking.

And, you are keeping things as simple as possible by staying in control of the situation. You and the person who lost the money know how much money was lost. Nobody else knows, so the chance of dishonesty is miniscule.

My problem with returning to the bank and having them hold it is that it introduces a lot of dishonesty potential.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This morning I went to Bank of America

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you went wrong.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering it was probably someones Christmas money that they were going to buy presents with, you did the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kind of presents does Bank of America sell?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Considering it was probably someones Christmas money that they were going to buy presents with, you did the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kind of presents does Bank of America sell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, but they give away free envelopes that can hold at least $640.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:04 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i found a bag at a mcdonald's pay phone when i was about 15 years old. it was fairly large, and had piles of money and checks in it. i went into mcdonald's and asked the employees if somebody was missing a bag. a ghost white manager had lost it. i don't remember if they even gave me anything for it.

i just sold the domain name i've been using for the last 4 years. had to change a ton of email logins, etc. (over 200 actually). i went through and roboformed everything with my new email address and randomly-generated passwords. i figured out where to go by running a script on my email. one of them was firepay, and i hadn't logged in since 2004 so it had to 'recreate my account'. when i signed in i had $2199 in there, i had no idea.

i wonder if it's worth a dedicated post to remind people about firepay if they haven't signed in for a while.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hadn't logged in since 2004 so it had to 'recreate my account'. when i signed in i had $2199 in there, i had no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, we found the prize pool for the Risk league. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]