Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: I found $640: now what?

[ QUOTE ]
tripp:

Both of those excerpts - and the articles I found by searching for those terms - were very interesting reads. My question is this: How is the law not protecting the idiots who lose things? Yes, it certainly does intend to punish the scumbags like myself who would happily collect $640 (or $30k) off the ground and pocket it - but why does it intend to do such punishing? The intent is to make people like myself less likely to simply pocket the money, and more likely to turn it over to the proper authorities. Thus, the ultimate intent is to protect the morons that lose things from themselves. You can probably make the argument that the law protects the moron from the scumbags like me, but if the moron weren't to lose said item in the first place, the scumbag wouldnt be in a position to appropriate the item.

Sorting out my jibber jabber, I'm simply saying this: If I managed to drop $1000 in $20s somewhere, I wouldn't expect to get it back. I shouldn't. I screwed up, its my fault. But the government says, hold up, wait, yasher, we need to protect you from yourself! So, if you drop $1000 in $20s, anyone that finds that money is obligated to turn it into the police - because you're a moron and need to be protected from yourself.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

I've gotta get to work, but perhaps I'll have a useful analogy when I return. These laws - applied to this sort of case - just reek.

This should be interesting,
yasher

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this is simple. This law is created to serve society's best interest. That interest is as follows:

People should not be allowed to take something that is not theirs when they know it is someone else's.

The fact that the person who lost the money may have been irresponsible isn't of any consequence. You can't just take something that isn't yours because you found it.
Personal responsibility has nothing to do with this.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:27 PM

You did fine. Just call the bank and talk to the manger on Monday and find out if anyone claimed the cash. If he doesn't know anything about it, then get that dishonest teller fired.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:31 PM

RHD,

This one?

2121 Blakemore Ave.
Nashville, TN 37212

Still wondering,
El Diablo
Old 12-03-2005, 04:34 PM

man... get one of your friends to claim this for you ASAP... seriously it's a lot of money and you found it.

Get it back and give your friend 100 bucks for doing it for you.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:36 PM

WW,

Seriously, I don't think having one of his friends go lie about this is a good idea. If I were RHD I'd just hope I get a call on Monday, which he is likely to get.

ED
Old 12-03-2005, 04:38 PM

El D,

2121 Blakemore Ave.
Nashville, TN 37212

I think you are right with this one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ROAD TRIP!!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:39 PM

ElD,

I can neither confirm nor deny that that is the location in question.

Wackity,

Having made the decision to be honest, I feel no need to trump that decision with dishonesty, much less dilute my potential payout.

Righteously Yours,
RunDownHouse
Old 12-03-2005, 04:41 PM

some of you all are retarded. this is not theft, there is no legal recourse available to the guy who dropped it. since op has no idea who dropped it, it isn't theft. and bank of america is for sure just going to pocket this money so he won't hear back either. in situations like these, when there's no way of finding out who lost it, you ALWAYS keep the money, otherwise the company you give it to will just keep it for themselves.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 PM

leehrat,

I think you're way overestimating the personality present in a corperation like BofA. If anyone steals the money, it will be the teller or other employee, not the company.

Always Happy to Enlighten,
RunDownHouse
Old 12-03-2005, 04:45 PM

same difference from your perspective dude