Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 PM

Default K4s (i\'m pushing the envelope....)

10-20 Borgata last night. Villian had called me down earlier with top pair no kicker after I showed aggression on the flop. Prolly a little too loose PF. Other than that, no reads.

I open raise from CO+1. Folded to BB (villian) who calls.

Flop K72 (all spades)

He checks, I bet, he check raises, I 3 bet. He says "What the hell, I cap it.

Turn (Ks 7s 2s) 3h

He checks, I.......?

Just curious how many of you bet out here. Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: K4s (i\'m pushing the envelope....)

Not sure what CO+1 means but anyway...Since its heads up there is no cap on action on any street and your opponent most likely knows it. Checking behind on the turn is a bit weak but then again you may be dead behind anyway. With that said i still bet that turn. Not too many people will go for a CR with a made hand on that board after 4 betting the flop. Feels like a A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 some other small card...
Old 10-13-2005, 04:38 PM

I would fold preflop. The only time I open raise with a hand like K3s is from the button or CO when everyone left to act behind me is tight.

As for the hand; "what the hell, I cap" is very very bad for you. Almost always means your beat (especially when you're holding top pair no kicker on a monotone flop). I would check the turn, unless you know him well enough that a.) you know he was capable of capping the flop with a hand that you have beat (i.e. middle pair w/ ace of spades) and b.) he is str8forward enough that you could bet and fold to a craze. Barring that, plan to go to showdon as cheaply as possible if you must.

- Jags
Old 10-13-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what CO+1 means but anyway...Since its heads up there is no cap on action on any street and your opponent most likely knows it. Checking behind on the turn is a bit weak but then again you may be dead behind anyway. With that said i still bet that turn. Not too many people will go for a CR with a made hand on that board after 4 betting the flop. Feels like a A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 some other small card...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. You admit that you may be behind and drawing dead, and then say bet anyway because checking seems "a bit weak." I'd rather look "a bit weak" by checking the turn than spewing chips when drawing dead. Maybe that's just me.

Also, I don't think we really care if villain is going for a check-raise, as long as we can safely fold if he does.

- Jags
Old 10-14-2005, 10:01 AM

Thanks, JAA! you just made me feel much better. I had a friend tell me that he would have bet the turn as well. "Bet with the intention of folding to a raise" I believe what he said.

I just felt like checking the turn was better.

thoughts?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the subject (pushing the envelope). I think my open raising standards in LP are encroaching the maniac area. Any two'll do appearently.

Might explain why I have burnt through almost 300BB's in the last 6 months?

meh...