Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Help a weak tightie please!

Im still about 22/15 after 40k hands of 5/10. I've been looking for spots to gradually increase my vpip as I get more comfortable, but I'm increasingly feeling like im stuck at 22.

These are some hands from my last session that I folded, but might be playable. Thanks for any feedback.

Hand 1
(60/23/1.7) raises UTG. I hold 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button and the blinds are tight. UTG overplays his holdings in the face of resistance post flop.

Hand 2
CO (75/36/1.5) raises, a tight (21 VPIP) player and a fish (76 VPIP) cold call. I hold 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB.

Hand 3
UTG (66/27/1.5) raises, folded to me with 33 in the SB. BB is tight.

Hand 4
A fishy and bad (52/10/.4) limps UTG, I hold K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and pass on the isolation move with aggressive preflop players to act behind me.

Hand 5
A bad fish (81/10) limps, I raie to isolate with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], a tag (25/15/2.5) 3 bets, a wild and bad (76/36/1.5) caps and the fish limper calls.

Hand 6
Two loose players limp, I hold 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.

Hand 7
Two loose, bad players limp, both with vpip 80+. I hold Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 08-13-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Help a weak tightie please!

There are better opportunities to raise your vpip. I just quickly glanced through these but I think all 7 are folds.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Hand 3 is a possible call, but only if you are really good postflop, you think UTG will fold a better hand to aggression, and you're good at hitting sets on the flop.

Hand 5... you're getting 7:1 and no one can raise behind you. But the best you can hope for is that no one else has an ace. Also, you're out of position. Even if you hit your ace, you're not going to be too thrilled about any aggression. Lay it down.

Seems to me everything is a fold. Only the two specific examples I went over really need any thought behind it, and even then playing is marginal at best.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:18 PM

I play exactly the same as you. 22/15. I am also trying to open up at bit.

Hand 1. there has be better places then this.

Hand 2. 8-1 I would call.

Hand 3 your 50/50 to win this at best and your out of postion.

Hand 4 where are you? This would tempt me in the cutoff or bttn especially with a loose passive

Hand 5 Oh sh... I fold. Like to hear from others

Hand 6-7 fold you only have .2 of a BB invested these look like trouble hands to me.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im still about 22/15 after 40k hands of 5/10. I've been looking for spots to gradually increase my vpip as I get more comfortable, but I'm increasingly feeling like im stuck at 22.

These are some hands from my last session that I folded, but might be playable. Thanks for any feedback.

Hand 1
(60/23/1.7) raises UTG. I hold 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button and the blinds are tight. UTG overplays his holdings in the face of resistance post flop.

Insta-fold for me.

Hand 2
CO (75/36/1.5) raises, a tight (21 VPIP) player and a fish (76 VPIP) cold call. I hold 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB.

This is close, but I fold, I´d probably play if both coldcallers were bad.

Hand 3
UTG (66/27/1.5) raises, folded to me with 33 in the SB. BB is tight.

Without knowing anything about his postflop play I fold. I dont want to put myself in a spot were I 3bet and he has position on me if I dont know how to react if he raise me after the flop.

Hand 4
A fishy and bad (52/10/.4) limps UTG, I hold K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and pass on the isolation move with aggressive preflop players to act behind me.

Me too, unless I´m on the button.

Hand 5
A bad fish (81/10) limps, I raie to isolate with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], a tag (25/15/2.5) 3 bets, a wild and bad (76/36/1.5) caps and the fish limper calls.

Fold, I fold first time also if 2 off the button.

Hand 6
Two loose players limp, I hold 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.

It´s probably close in a 1/2 structure, but I fold in 2/5.

Hand 7
Two loose, bad players limp, both with vpip 80+. I hold Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I still fold. It will be hard to win with a pair of 4s and the queen is fairly dominated as those guys prolly play most of them. You can´t win on a bluff either. Q8o and I play.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:31 PM

22/15 is fine. Don't worry too much about it, you'll win more $$ w/solid postflop play than by losening up your pf play. Once you get better playing postflop, your VPIP will increase. Remember, adding more hands is only profitable if you have the ability to play them well postflop
Old 08-13-2005, 08:41 PM

1 - fold
2 - fold
3 - fold
4 - fold
5 - call &amp; fish the flop. fold if you miss
6 - complete
7 - fold
Old 08-13-2005, 08:44 PM

Call #2 every time.

I think I'm 3-betting the 33 hand.

The rest I fold.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
22/15 is fine. Don't worry too much about it, you'll win more $$ w/solid postflop play than by losening up your pf play. Once you get better playing postflop, your VPIP will increase. Remember, adding more hands is only profitable if you have the ability to play them well postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally I agree. I'm now break even over close to 20k hands and am starting to feel like I've plateaued. In any case I don't have the same faith in my judgement that I used to, so I'll be targetting some specific areas of my game for analysis (I plan on a few posts like this one with post flop decisions as well).

I'm hoping that finding a few extra points of vpip will help transform me from my tight aggressive consistent style to a slightly more dynamic game.

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4 where are you? This would tempt me in the cutoff or bttn especially with a loose passive

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm UTG +1 here, I would isolate with A9os.