Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 08:24 AM

Default How to get the most out of Poker books

Hi all.

I have just picked up The Psychology of Poker along with HOH and Killer Online Poker so my hands are full right now. I'm trying to establish a diverse collection of poker books for a well rounded game.

I was wondering if you guys have read The Psychology of Poker or any of the other books I have mentioned. If so, how have they helped you? I personally find it very easy to read these books, but not particularly easy to remember or apply what I have read. I want to get the most out of these books and I just thought I'd ask your opinions on them and how you've managed to take what you've learned and apply it directly to the poker table.

I guess I'm basically just curious if reading a Poker book has dramatically improved any of you guys as Poker players. Am I wasting my time and money or can Poker books realistically make me good enough that these books will pay for themselves in the future? If any of you have genuinely benefited from Poker books, how did you go about getting the most from them?

I apologize if this is off topic. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: How to get the most out of Poker books

Killer online poker was pretty much a waste of time.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Poker books can help. But like anything it will take time. The main problem is that if you are new to poker, there are so many concepts to digest. I think people read a book for the first time, then expect to be able to apply all the concepts they have read and become an instant winner. However, you won't become a doctor with one read of a manual, it takes several years. Therefore, my advice is this:

to start off with, select one variation of poker to concentrate on i.e. Limit Hold'em, and learn as much about it as you can. Read a book, and digest it in small amounts, then go and play. After your session, re-read the book and see if you misunderstood any of the concepts. Then play some more. Treat it like a reflective cycle. Having focused your attentions on one variation of the game and learned the basics of poker, you should find learning other games easier as a result. But be prepared, there are some concepts harder to apply than others.

For a book that covers all aspects of poker, I highly recommend "The Theory Of Poker" by David Sklansky. Sometimes around the forums you will see it refered to as TOP.

The above book introduces you to a topic and then dedicates a chapter for discussion. If you wanted a look at individual concepts and apply them to your game, this is an excellent book.

Good luck,

PJS
Old 11-19-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Best way is...

To have the book with you as you learn and make mistakes online. As you encounter a situation or a mistake you will refer back to the 2+2 book. THis way will make it easier to remember concepts.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 PM

Like PJS said, read-play-read-play, and keep repeating. Most times I go back and re-read something I seem to understand it a little better. Or I'm able to look at it from a different angle. As for recommendations, check the column on the left of your screen: "Books" and "Books by Others."

btw, clever s/n
Old 11-19-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Killer online poker was pretty much a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

For strategy, yes. If you follow the exercices and think, write things down, it complements POP fairly well. PJS made a great post BTW.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:20 PM

My reading plan goes something like this...

1) Read cover to cover.
2) Read cover to cover again and take notes.
3) Read cover to cover a 3rd time while checking notes for errors and anything that should be noted that may have been overlooked.
4) Keep book handy so it is available if something needs to be referenced or clarified... or read again.

This method has worked very well for me through 20+ books.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:48 PM

What came first: knowledge or experience?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:17 AM

I do something similar.

1) Read cover to cover
2) Read cover to cover again, highlighting the important concepts.
3)
Old 11-25-2005, 06:58 AM

Some books help, some don't. The most helpful ones to me are:

Getting started in holdem - Ed Miller (for limit + starting no limit ring)

SSHE - holdem

Harrington on Holdem - vol 1 and 2: no limit tourneys, and no limit playing generally

I've read maybe 30 others, and each of them really only add a little to my game (which is still beginner/intermediate, but profitable) - the exception are the ones dealing with specific subjects - like the section in SuperSystem 2 on Hi/Lo Omaha, for example. I do think as I advance, they will prove to be useful with each revisit though.