Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Question about the WPT broadcasts...

Obviously the show is heavily and meticulously edited, as is the commentary provided by Sexton and VVP. I always assumed that they simply did a voice over for the final edited version of the show complete with hole cards. In other words, the announcing isn't "live". This way makes sense since it saves time and ensures that they're not referencing past hands that don't make the final broadcast and confuse the viewer.

However, if you watch a WPT broadcast you can often see Sexton and VVP in their little booth right there in the backround as the action is actually happening. What's going on here? I suspect that they just sit there for effect and to create the illusion that they are actually providing running commentary of the play live as it unfolds, even though this can't be since they shouldn't be able to see the hole cards from 3 feet from the table nor should they be discussing live hands so close to the actual table. Its not possible since it raises so many integrity issues and for the continuity issues metioned earlier.

So, do they just sit there likes bumps on a log for the several hours that all the final tables take? I suspect they do, which is actually pretty funny.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Question about the WPT broadcasts...

I have thought the same exact thing. What made me realize that they probably do voice overs later is that there is no way they would allow them to see the hole cards live sitting just ten feet away.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:26 PM

I've never attended a WPT event, but I would imagine it's for image, and that they have some MC duties. The fact that they do not see the rabbit cams live has been discussed here before, as, at least in Nevada, that's against gaming commision rules.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 PM

I beleive they are also the producers of the show. I imagine they watch the hands and start noting interesting ones that should be included in the broadcast.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:28 PM

Yep. Pretty much. They sit there talking without seeing the cards, but the live crowd can't hear them. Once in a great while they will splice in one of the "live" comments they make, usually when someone is all in, but for the most part, they are sitting there for appearances only.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:29 PM

Not quite correct.

I can tell from the show that they actually ARE making some live comments as well...even though they can't see the hole-cards.

I think most of this will be when there is an all-in or something so they know both players' hole-cards after they are turned up.
They can then SHOW Mike and Vince actually reacting to a miracle river or something.

Obviously lots of the time they aren't doing TOO much. But they are probably doing two different broadcasts. They kind of banter as they go along through the regular tourney...but they don't have to go too overboard with it because the live part is 5 or 6 hours long and not much is happening much of that time. But they probably roll the audio-tape anyway so if someone walking off says something impromtu to Mike they can hear whatever his reaction is going to be (and get it on camera).

So I think you're assumption is partly correct.
yes, they aren't doing THAT much a lot of the time. But I bet 10% of the commentary that runs in an episode comes from them being live at the site...and the other 90% is all the edited stuff that they do afterwards in the studio (where they get to see all the hole-cards, etc).

I bet this even comes in to play from one sentence to another.
Example:
edited in afterwards, "He's got a pair of 9's Vince. And if you're staring at an all-in from a bigger stack that's a tough call to make. So he's taking his time and thinking it over...."
and then from the live-at-the-site audio, (all-excited) "and he's GOING TO CALL THE ALL-IN. And NOW they'll see each other's hole-cards and he'll see where he stands!!!! And he's going to like his chances now that he sees that it's a coin-flip!!"

Obviously if they can't quite get it right inb the live portion the first time around (maybe they couldn't see the cards very quickly) they can just get it right the 2nd time around.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 PM

It's funny, what lengths they go to to propagate the illusion that the commentary is all live. It's completely absurd! They really want us to think that Mike Sexton is barking out "MY GOD HE HAS POCKET ACES!!" only a few feet away from the players. Ahhh you gotta love this show. So much hype, hype, hype