Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Doyle Brunson

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't buy it unless I heard good things about it. On the other hand, I would buy anything that Barry Greenstein or Chip Reese or Doyle Brunson wrote (not his online book) because they are top players and very intelligent people. - /End Quote

Doyle Brunson ?? ... C'mon you must be kidding me, Yes He wrote a nice piece on Hold'em back in the late seventies, but that is it as to pokeradvice

Supersystem II is joke (The Doyle Brunson part that is .. and come to think of it also the Caro part, he kind of suffers from the same defects as Brunson), and it is clear that he is just milking his famous name to sell reprints of old material and tales of The Wild West (actually I like his tales, but as a pokerinstructor I do not think he will contribute with anything more)

He derserves praise for the original supersystem and for being a worldclass player, but his days as a great writer seem to over.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Doyle Brunson

yes.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:11 PM

You should be ashamed of yourself, that's all I have to say.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Who ... me ?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM

yep.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: How many here would buy a book by Hoyt Corkins?

isn't that movie "Brokeback Mountain" his life story?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM

Bear ... I am not taking anything away from Doyle Brunson, when it comes to having an interesting life or being one of the best pokerplayers ever

Just mentioning that he squeezing his name to make a profit on not so great books ... and actually I respect him for that, isn't that what poker is about, winning enormous pots with big bluffs ?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At least his book are not as bad as Phil Helmuths ... (can't stop laughing that rubbercell inmate laughter ... mhoo ho ha ha hi ho ... my God .. )

Tell me Bear, did you enjoy the chapter on online poker in Supersystem II ?? (That was a good one, a 40 pages commercial for Doylesroom.com ... which again compares easily to Helmuths endless ramblings on what a great site UB is .. hmm .. maybe they should write a book together and and get Caro to write the preface ... WE ARE ALL IN .. The Helmuth and Brunson way ... just sigh here, and you WILL be playing like the pro's TEXAS STYLE !!!)

And again just so there is no misunderstandings ... The chapters on hold'em in Supersystem I are great ... Supersystem I as a whole is a great read ... and parts of Superssystem II are also very good (Todd Brunsons bit on Stud/8 for example)
Old 12-14-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bear ... I am not taking anything away from Doyle Brunson, when it comes to having an interesting life or being one of the best pokerplayers ever

Just mentioning that he squeezing his name to make a profit on not so great books ... and actually I respect him for that, isn't that what poker is about, winning enormous pots with big bluffs ?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At least his book are not as bad as Phil Helmuths ... (can't stop laughing that rubbercell inmate laughter ... mhoo ho ha ha hi ho ... my God .. )

Tell me Bear, did you enjoy the chapter on online poker in Supersystem II ?? (That was a good one, a 40 pages commercial for Doylesroom.com ... which again compares easily to Helmuths endless ramblings on what a great site UB is .. hmm .. maybe they should write a book together and and get Caro to write the preface ... WE ARE ALL IN .. The Helmuth and Brunson way ... just sigh here, and you WILL be playing like the pro's TEXAS STYLE !!!)

And again just so there is no misunderstandings ... The chapters on hold'em in Supersystem I are great ... Supersystem I as a whole is a great read ... and parts of Superssystem II are also very good (Todd Brunsons bit on Stud/8 for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I think Doyle's my favorite poker player I must agree that super/system 2 is almost identical to super/system 1, well at least the NL hold em part is anyways. Caro's part was useful to a beginner like I was when I first read that book. After reading 10 books I definiltey would not recommend super/system 2. The most disgusting fact is that I remember Doyle is quoted somewhere saying that Super/System 2 is not meant to be a newer, more extensive edition of super/system 1(and it isn't even that), but its a second volume all in itself and a continuation of super/system1, in other words, buy1, then buy 2. I do think Caro's an amazing writer in poker though.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:07 AM

Sure, he's maximizing his profits based on his popularity, who isn't. But to say that his book is no good is a damn lie. Why do I think this? Well, because that is the only book I had read for a long time on how to play NL hold em and I've won plenty of money doing it. Sure, I hit pitfalls along the way, I learned the hard way when to be aggressive and when to play differently (in the beginning I overlooked the part about how to play against weak opponents). I think he didn't change the NL section this time around because there wasn't anything to change. If you incorporate his teachings into your own style, you will be capable of playing power poker. Name me one book, just one, that is a better guide to playing NL ring games. The only other book that comes close is Pot-limit No-limit by Ciaffone and Reuben. It's a nice book. I took Mason's recommendation and read it. I learned some things from it, but I can't say it's influenced my game to the extent that Super System did.
When praising the original Super System limit section, you are aware that they no longer play the game with a single blind, right?
As far as the Mike Caro section of SSII, well, that's Caro. However, there is some useful stuff in that section as well. I'll leave it up to you what is helpful to you and what you already know. Many readers have no clue about tells or some of the other things Caro talks about. Caro has his place in developing poker players. He, like many, can be a useful resource.
I won't argue the internet section, however, that isn't what sells the book. What sells the book is the fact that it shares valuable information on how to play the game by the man that has dominated the game for many, many years.
I do not think that you could honestly say that one would be a worse NL hold em player after reading it, but I guarantee that one would be better it they are able to understand the concepts.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I think Doyle's my favorite poker player I must agree that super/system 2 is almost identical to super/system 1, well at least the NL hold em part is anyways. Caro's part was useful to a beginner like I was when I first read that book. After reading 10 books I definiltey would not recommend super/system 2. The most disgusting fact is that I remember Doyle is quoted somewhere saying that Super/System 2 is not meant to be a newer, more extensive edition of super/system 1(and it isn't even that), but its a second volume all in itself and a continuation of super/system1, in other words, buy1, then buy 2. I do think Caro's an amazing writer in poker though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want Doyle to write a new section on NL when he said in the book he thought about how much the game has changed over the years, and realized there wasn't anything to change. Also, you said that you don't need SS2 if you have the original. Tell me, where was Omaha high and Triple Draw covered in the original? Basically, the second book introduces games that are played today, and updated only what was required.