Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 07:39 AM

Default What is \"small stakes hold\'em\" in SSH?

I've just finished SSH for the second time, and low limit hold'em strategy finally made sense to me. But now I wonder how far can I get with the guidelines and strategies in SSH and when should I put my teeth in HPFAP? I realize there are no such thing as a sharp line between low and mid limit poker, but how high on average would you guys say that the gaming conditions remind of those explained in SSH? I'm talking about online poker.

I recall something is said about this in the book, but I'm asking because the situation could have changed somewhat since the book was published (it always does, and the book itself can of course have changed the small stakes games)
Old 12-24-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: What is \"small stakes hold\'em\" in SSH?

By the way, Happy X-mas and I hope you all have a Happy New Big Poker Income Year! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 12:44 PM

for SSH, online you're probably good until about $3/6. B&M about $10/20. IMO
Old 12-24-2005, 04:30 PM

There's no "rule" but I'd say up to 5/10 online is where SSH is more applicable then HPFAP. SSH is strategy for playing against relatively bad players, while HPFAP is geared toward playing against decent players.

However, even if you don't plan to play higher than 5/10 for awhile, you should still read HPFAP. There are many concepts discussed that you should understand even if they may not apply to the games you usually play.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I recall something is said about this in the book, but I'm asking because the situation could have changed somewhat since the book was published (it always does, and the book itself can of course have changed the small stakes games)

[/ QUOTE ]

What it says in the book, and what is unchanged, is that the strategy in SSHE is for playing against opponents who see too many flops and who play too many hands to the end. In other words, opponents who generally play incorrectly. It also says in SSHE that HPFAP is for playing against opponents who generally play correctly, not seeing a lot of flops and folding marginal hands when appropriate.

Despite the title, the important distinction is the style of play, not the dollar levels. SSHE strategy might be appropriate at a particular 30/60 B&M game, and it might be inappropriate at a particular 2/4 online game.

In other words, it depends.