Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Two AKs hands against a maniac- $200 cap NLHE

Two AK situations in a $200 cap, $0.25/$0.50 no-limit holdem game (5-handed). A maniac, playing well below his usual game level, is seated to your left.

This player will push in his whole stack with any two cards, and often does (even over a $0.75 pot). He'll open-raise to $6 and will often do it blind UTG. He doesn't care about the money at all, it seems (and that's pretty close to the truth).
You are sure that you can trap him for most if not all of his stack on favorable flops.

Situation #1: You're in the BB with AKs, maniac pushes his $100+ stack into the pot. You have him covered by a small amount (not that it matters if you're a slightly shorter stack, here). Everyone else folds. Do you call?

Situation #2: You're in the BB again, maniac pushes UTG for $147. A solid player, who you assume won't call without AK, a pair, possibly AQs-AJs, thinks a bit and calls $147. You again have AKs. You have $210, the solid player had at least 50% more than you did originally- he won't be folding if you move all-in.

Do you call, raise, or fold?

Does being suited matter all that much in either hand?

Side question- Which hand is "Big Slick"? Is it AKoff or AKsuited?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Two AKs hands against a maniac- $200 cap NLHE

first hand id most likely call because we're probably at a coinflip and he's a maniac.

second hand i'm folding KNOWING we're probably at BEST a coinflip.

AK is big slick.. suited or non.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Two AKs hands against a maniac- $200 cap NLHE

Hand 1: If he is truly a maniac and his range for pushing like this is wide, then your hand crushes his range and warrants a call.

Hand 2: What position is the solid player calling from? If he is in late position/SB and I really think he can make that call with AJs/AQs and low/medium pairs I will surely overpush. If hes UTG+1 I really doubt he would be calling here with these hands, but if maniac has been doing this for a while and I feel this guy may be fed up, that may slightly change things. Sure you may "only" be a coinflip, but theres a pretty big overlay on your coinflip from Mr. Maniac, and ill gladly take a coinflip with all of that dead money. There are 6 hand combinations that have you dominated given your holding, and the only time you would be making a big mistake considering the dead money is if you knew solid player had AA, as even against KK you are 30%. Even if we give solid player a REALLY tight range (QQ/KK/AA/AK) then you are against 9 combinations of AK for likely split, 3 combinations of AA for a dismal win %, 3 combinations of KK for 30% (which isn't even THAT terrible given the dead money, as you are getting 1.7:1 on your push and are 2.3:1 to win), and a coinflip against 6 combinations of QQ getting that huge overlay. I don't really see how overpushing in this spot could be too bad.