Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 AM
elgrkn elgrkn is offline
Junior Member

Default Warning To Empire Poker Players About Cash Transfers

Be careful if you ever send or receive a transfer on Empire Poker. The other day a friend asked me for a cash advance, in exchange for $50 on Empire Poker. So, being the nice guy that I am, I complied.

I've also been trying to scrounge up enough cash to get a last minute plane ticket to Las Vegas for Def Con. So I started withdrawing money from all of my poker accounts.

Then today, instead of a cashout notice, I received this email from Empire Poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Cashout Pending Verification
From: info@empirepoker.com
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:42:36 -0400 (EDT)
To: ***REMOVED***

Dear Christopher Anderson,

While approving a cashout request of yours we see that you are cashing out an amount transferred to you by another player on our website via the Inter-Account Transfer feature.

Please note that the Inter-Account Transfer feature is a privilege for all Real Money Account Holders who wish to help their friends on the site who go broke, or want to convert Play Money Players to play for Real Money.

Using this feature for any purpose other than those mentioned above is not encouraged, so please write back to us with a clarification about the same for us to verify the cashout.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience.
zabeers
Investigations Team for Poker
alerts@empirepoker.com
http://www.empirepoker.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm normally not one to get pissed off about policy. I understand that there's a usually a reason why that policy is in place, and I just have to deal with it. I also understand that Empire Poker is running a business, and to run a business you have to make money. Although, in this case, I completely disagree with both the policy and the reasons behind it. I had always thought Empire was one of the better poker rooms with decent support, and now I'm very disappointed. I had thought the money transfer feature was for the user's convenience, so they could transfer money to friends quickly through the poker site instead of waiting for the cash to withdraw to neteller, then withdrawing to the bank, then withdrawing from the bank to hand to friend. Although, apparently the money transfer feature is a privilege for players who wish to give their friends who busted more money to play with, and to convince play money players to play for real money by giving play money friends some real money to try playing with.

Anyway, since they are now holding my hard earned cash in limbo, I sent them an email back as the requested to explain myself.

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Re: Cashout Pending Verification
From: Chris Anderson <***REMOVED***>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:53:26 -0500
To: info@empirepoker.com

A friend of mine needed some cash, but the only money he had was in his Empire Poker account. So he asked me if he could transfer me money from his Empire account if I loaned him some cash. I don't see how there could be anything wrong with this. Although, I'll make sure I warn him about this so that he doesn't keep money in his Empire account in the future.

I'm sorry for any trouble this may have caused.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm posting this to notify you all of Empire's policy regarding transfers. I'm sure there are others out there who are unaware of this policy, so I thought I'd do Empire Poker a favor by making it known before other players make the same mistake as I did.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Shoe Shoe is offline
Member

Location: Mil-town

If your that tight up for $50, you probably shouldn't be buying plane tickets.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Nick-Zack Nick-Zack is offline
Senior Member

This has been covered more than once. The online poker sites don't want to be banks or conduits for laundering money. All you have to do is play with the money for awhile and they will be happy to cash it out for you.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:12 AM
MicroBob MicroBob is offline
Senior Member

Location: memphis

1 - it's not the greatest policy in the world....but you're over-reacting.

2 - [ QUOTE ]
I had always thought Empire was one of the better poker rooms with decent support

[/ QUOTE ]

can you repeat that please? I'm not sure I heard you right the first time.
You didn't REALLY just use the phrase 'decent support' in the same sentence as 'empire' did you?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:24 AM
elgrkn elgrkn is offline
Junior Member

[ QUOTE ]
If your that tight up for $50, you probably shouldn't be buying plane tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a student, so I don't have many expenses. I have a few checks coming in a couple weeks which will cover the cost of the trip. Although, since I don't have any credit cards, I thought I might as well borrow the money from my poker bankroll then put it back in when I get paid. I'm not planning on playing online poker from Def Con anyway.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 AM
MicroBob MicroBob is offline
Senior Member

Location: memphis

what is def con?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:29 AM
elgrkn elgrkn is offline
Junior Member

[ QUOTE ]
what is def con?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically a huge security conference, but that really doesn't even begin to describe it.
http://www.defcon.org/
Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 AM
elgrkn elgrkn is offline
Junior Member

[ QUOTE ]
This has been covered more than once. The online poker sites don't want to be banks or conduits for laundering money. All you have to do is play with the money for awhile and they will be happy to cash it out for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand that now. Although, I know there are other people who don't realize that these restrictions are in place. That's why I'm posting this, to serve as a warning.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:34 AM
elgrkn elgrkn is offline
Junior Member

[ QUOTE ]
1 - it's not the greatest policy in the world....but you're over-reacting.

2 - [ QUOTE ]
I had always thought Empire was one of the better poker rooms with decent support

[/ QUOTE ]

can you repeat that please? I'm not sure I heard you right the first time.
You didn't REALLY just use the phrase 'decent support' in the same sentence as 'empire' did you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did. I'm not sure where I heard that. But I honestly believed Empire was one of the easiest sites to work with. That's why I'm overreacting. I feel as if I've been completely let down.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 AM
primetime32 primetime32 is offline
Senior Member

Location: NY

I would go back and remove your name from the emails unless you made up that name for the purpose of this post.