Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Marginal Pot Odds Play

Party NL50, 10 handed

I'm in LP (one off the CO) with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Some background on the table - loose and passive. Recently, UTG+1 has turned into a donk and is raising 6x BB with everything under the sun, so there's been a lot of action to isolate him. The last four or five hands have the feel of "he's bluffing, so I'm going to fight back" whenever someone bets. I'm not expecting to be able to bluff at this pot, I'm hoping to flop a monster. EDIT (stack sizes): I'm roughly $50, no one's exceedingly high or low - stacks vary from $30ish (villain's got $34ish, iirc) to $75.

There's an OOP poster in the CO, and 3 calls to me. I call, it gets to the SB, who makes it $2.00 to go. ($5.00 pot)

All limpers call, and it's back to me - $1.50 into a $9.50 pot. I figure odds are there and call, and SB calls behind me. $11 pot.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
All in all, a good flop for me. It's checked to UTG, who bets $5. Folded to me, and I call $5 into $16.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG bets $5 into $21. I figure at this point that I'm ahead, and raise him all-in ($20 more).

So...

1. Is the PF call ok, or should I chuck it even with 7.3:1 odds?

2. Flop call weak? I'm thinking a raise may have been better here.

3. Good play on the turn, or stupid raise?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Marginal Pot Odds Play

[ QUOTE ]
1. Is the PF call ok, or should I chuck it even with 7.3:1 odds?

2. Flop cold call weak? I'm thinking a raise may have been better here.

3. Good play on the turn, or stupid raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. fine, but I will often raise here. Good chance to pick up the dead money or isolate the maniac.
2. a 'cold call' is calling two bets, but your 'flat call' i sweak - I'll raise this up to $18, and this pot commits you, so you are pushing any turn. If he folds, great; if he calls, there is a good chance you are ahead.
3. As you played the flop: I like it. I think you have boatloads of fold equity, and the LAP you describe will call with less than TP3K. if you are beat, no worries, reload and stack him back in the next hour or so.