Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Yes I am a greedy SOB

Party 2/4. I'm rusty, coming off a long layoff, and about a 2 year layoff from limit... Still, I feel like I'm playing a pretty good game, and let my starting requirements loosen up a bit.

Both MP1 and BB are LAGgy. MP1 has me covered, BB has about 1/2 my stack.

I'm UTG with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I raise, making it $4. MP1 cold calls, as does BB. (Loose open, I know... But this is a loose, active table, and I'm coming off a bad run of cards - about 6% VPIP in the last 40 hands... I'm hoping that earns me some credibility. It doesn't.)

Flop (pot is 3.5bb) comes T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, I check, MP1 bets out.
BB folds, I call.

Turn (4.5bb) comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, MP1 bets. I raise, MP1 reraises.

Here's where the question comes in. The pot's at 7.5bb, so I'm basically assured a call on the end... But I get excited and cap. MP1 folds.

Anyone think I'm losing a bet by capping rather than betting (or trying for a c/r) the river?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Yes I am a greedy SOB

Well, you represented trips pretty convincingly with your sequence of preflop raise, flop check-call, turn checkraise.

Anyway, though, I don't see 3-bet/fold lines very often, so I don't think you'll lose Villain very often by capping.

I also think you got decent action on your hand. Your line in this hand represents a real monster, so if Villain had raised the river, I wouldn't have been so confident anymore that you had the best hand. (And, actually, I would've been a little concerned when Villain 3-bet the turn checkraise. I still would have capped, though.)
Old 12-20-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you represented trips pretty convincingly with your sequence of preflop raise, flop check-call, turn checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I hadn't initially planned on the turn c/r... Saw that second heart and got a little spooked, I guess. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 AM

For what it's worth, I would have led the flop.

When you raise preflop, do you often check the flop versus two opponents when you miss?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 AM

Yeah.... 98% of the time I raise PF I make a continuation.

You're right - I'm seeing some symptoms of FPS, aren't I? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Preflop: I'm not open raising this myself. At 2/4, you could get away with limping, but I find that even to be a stretch in some cases. Folding is ok.

Flop: Since you raised, you should just be leading out, hoping to get raised. Calling and coming to life on the turn is pretty much the way most people scream "big hand".

Turn: Capping is fine. The pot is big enough that if he has a piece, he's coming along with you for the ride anyway. Unless you have a strong read that tells you that MP is aggro and will very likely bet the river, going for a river C/R is usually too fancy.