Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 06-23-2005, 10:49 AM

Default how do you get over hands like this?

This was fairly late in a $10 buy in tournament. 1st place was a whopping $648, I play .50/1 ring games or 5/.50 sit n gos normally. So that prize is ALOT for me. Had I held my ground I would have been either close to or the chip leader with excellent chances to finish high.

PokerStars Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t300 (8 handed) converter

BB (t9545)
UTG (t8975)
UTG+1 (t3019)
MP1 (t7430)
MP2 (t30979)
Hero (t4520)
Button (t3810)
SB (t1295)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB, t2850) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB, t5250) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (14.75 BB, t8850) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB (t10050)

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has As Ah (two pair, aces and tens).
MP2 has Ks Qh (one pair, tens).
Outcome: MP1 wins 16.75 BB (t10050). </font>

Big stack was bullying people around big time but how can you possibly cold call in that position? Did I make the right call and am second guessing based on results, or do I have to make a move to counter the big stack bully tactics?

This hand hasn't put me on long term tilt, although I did bust out the tourney on a set of twos against a set of jacks in a pot that I stayed in longer than normal because of this hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: how do you get over hands like this?

IMO it's borderline, only because of your "bully" read on the reraiser, but in general TT is not a hand I'm going to want to play for three bets cold. MP1 knew he might get a reraise out of him and still raised into him; you could rightly conclude that he either has your tens badly beaten with jacks or higher or is a slight underdog to you with two overcards. (MP2's reraise with KQo is horrible, but as you said he's just bullying.)

You were a 4:1 underdog to MP1 preflop and just happened to hit what would have been a lucky flop. I can't find fault with your fold.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:48 AM

I think you made the right play. Once you fold your hand, ignore the results, unless you really think you made a mistake by folding.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:23 PM

thanks for the back up on my play, i still wont forget this hand for a while, not in a bad way though.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:47 PM

To address the "how do I get over this" question a little more, I would remind myself of a few things:

1) It's not like this hand was going to win you the tournament or anything. You would have been in a great position to cash, sure, but you never know. This was just one fairly large hand.

2) You could just have easily flopped your T and then lost a huge hand when the KQ hits his straight - clearly you weren't thinking about calling for the chance of quads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

3) Do you feel bad every time you walk past a slot machine? The next pull could be the jackpot you know? You can only judge your decision on what you know at the time you made it. Was it a good one based upon what you knew? If so, then you have nothing to be upset over.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) Do you feel bad every time you walk past a slot machine? The next pull could be the jackpot you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that's the thing about hold 'em. I never stop by the slot machines to see if the next schmo who throws his coin in wins; in hold 'em you can't help seeing how you would have hit the board, at least not without getting up after folding each hand.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 AM

I guess I'm the only one who makes this call. This is limit after all. You're talking about 1/4 of your chips, sure, but WTF? Do you want to win or cash? I play to win. I play to acquire as many chips as possible. If you hit the flop, it pays off. If you don't, you still have 3,600 chips.

Easy call in a tournament.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm the only one who makes this call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you apply the Gap Concept and give your opponents any credit at all, you have about 30% equity in this pot. It's a close call, but I would probably fold. The thing is, your implied odds aren't that great if the flop comes low and you're probably beaten if the flop comes high.

Regards,

T
Old 06-24-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm the only one who makes this call. This is limit after all. You're talking about 1/4 of your chips, sure, but WTF? Do you want to win or cash? I play to win. I play to acquire as many chips as possible. If you hit the flop, it pays off. If you don't, you still have 3,600 chips.

Easy call in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not going to fold you should raise. Calling is your worst option, IMO. You could fold out the original raiser leaving you heads up in position with the over-aggressive bully. And even if he doesn't fold (which is likely) you should have an easier time playing postflop being the aggressor in position than just a tag-a-long.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:36 PM

This one is easy to remember. The ones which are easily forgotten are those which, under similar circumstances, would have cost you had you called and played on.

Good fold IMHO