Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Move to a tougher site?

I have been playing on-line for approx 1 year, with little previous hold 'em experience. I chose to play at Pacific Poker as a few people told me it had the 'easiest games' on-line.

I am now at the stage where I manage a small weekly profit from playing, however I am trying to improve my reading of hands based on opponents play and am concerned that Pacific is holding me back (it could of course be simply I am not yet good at it).

Many of the plays I find bizzare (in a weak rather than strong sense).

Have others found this about Pacific?

Is it worth playing at a stronger site where games are tougher but reading is more likely to be possible?

Is reading hands easier against tough players than weak players?(I assume tough players will make a lot of moves)
Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Move to a tougher site?

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing on-line for approx 1 year, with little previous hold 'em experience. I chose to play at Pacific Poker as a few people told me it had the 'easiest games' on-line.

I am now at the stage where I manage a small weekly profit from playing, however I am trying to improve my reading of hands based on opponents play and am concerned that Pacific is holding me back (it could of course be simply I am not yet good at it).

Many of the plays I find bizzare (in a weak rather than strong sense).

Have others found this about Pacific?

Is it worth playing at a stronger site where games are tougher but reading is more likely to be possible?

Is reading hands easier against tough players than weak players?(I assume tough players will make a lot of moves)

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the fact that game selection is clearly an important tool for a winning player, if you are still relatively new and want to improve your game, it could benefit you to play in a couple games that you think are "better" than what you normally see. I started my online career at the NL tables at UB, and I was like a kid in a candy store when I moved to some of the softer sites because I could see that the number of mistakes my opponents were making had gone up considerably. If you like money, you shouldn't consistently play in tough games, but if you like the challenge and think it would help you improve, try it out. Go play on UB or Stars for awhile.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 PM

First of all, it is much easier to read better players (online that is, in real life whole different story) as long as your also good so you can use their logic to determine their possible hole cards.
Dont make the assumption that playing against better players is more profitable because you have a better idea of what they hold. You want to play against the crappy players because over the long run you will kill them if your good. you want to play against people who believe "any two cards can win" If you learn to value bet and read some books you will love these kind of players.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:32 PM

YOu have to adapt to the type of game yoru playing, just because you can beat good players doesn't mean you can beat bad players or at least win as much as you should, and vise versa. You can learn a lot from playing against bad players. Also depends on what game your playing.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM

Thanks. I don't expect to beat the better games, this is the main downside with changing sites, at the moment I know I can be profitable even without a good read as long as I am disciplined in my own play.

Is it commonly thought that the site I mentioned has particularly weak players?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Game is usually $100 or $200 sit & go six handed tourney, I would have assumed that as this entry fee the players would be pretty experienced. I guess the only way for me to know where my game is, is to try a few other games on sites which is known to be tougher.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 PM

I dont play pacific, but from what I've heard they do have the worst players. If you play online party poker is the way to go.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:43 PM

Yea, no harm in just looking for a new site.