Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2004, 01:37 PM

Default I have to learn how to play hands like this.

I've been starting to take notes during sessions, keeping track of things I'd like to post about here, especially things I'm afraid are becoming standard for me. Here's an example:

Basically, I'm willing to call the flop bet, but that's it.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB

I don't think playing medium pocket pairs this way makes sense, and I can't imagine it's profitable.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: I have to learn how to play hands like this.

Raise pre-flop for two reasons:

1. You probably have the best hand.
2. You might buy the button.

Bet the turn to give people a chance to fold, and also because you still have a good chance of having the best hand. Nobody has pushed back, and though a Queen might be out there, a Queen might also NOT be out there. Don't give those overcards a free chance to suck out on you.

In these situations where you're likely going to want to check behind on either the turn or the river, I think checking behind on the turn is the superior choice only when you have a decent chance of improving your hand. Those times when you think you have the best hand and have little chance to improve, bet the turn, then think about checking or betting the river depending on what happens. When you check the turn here you're begging to be pushed off your hand.

In this hand, I would have bet the turn and checked the river if given the opportuninty, because every draw imaginable just got there on the last card.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:58 PM

Raise preflop. Bet the flop AND the turn.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:54 PM

cold cash is very correct, you bet the turn with the intent of getting everyone to check to you on the river so you can shown down your pair, which is pretty likely to be good in this situation. If they lead into you if the flush card falls, then you need to reevaluate whether your hand could still be good at this time.

Gojacketz
Old 07-04-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think playing medium pocket pairs this way makes sense, and I can't imagine it's profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not - you need to raise this preflop from the CO. Bet the flop and the turn if you are not check-raised. If you don't fold everybody on the turn and you don't improve on the river, check it through if you can. By this point you are probably looking at a weak queen held by a calling station or somebody who just rivered his flush or straight and is looking to check-raise.