Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 12:25 AM

Default The sports guys latest cowbell

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons

I read his articles, he's amussing, but does anyone else think they would want to kill themselves if they were stuck in a room with this guy? Anytime something doesn't go his teams way he comes off as a huge prick.

Just my two cents.

Ken
Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: The sports guys latest cowbell

Who is he? The article was pretty lame. Why the bias towards the Patriots?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is he? The article was pretty lame. Why the bias towards the Patriots?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's from Beantown.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons

I read his articles, he's amussing, but does anyone else think they would want to kill themselves if they were stuck in a room with this guy? Anytime something doesn't go his teams way he comes off as a huge prick.

Just my two cents.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way. Probably my favorite writer, but still, shut up already.
My favorite angle he takes is the: "Lets pretend the NFL changed the rules to help the Colts even though they didn't change the rules, but rather vowed to 'enforce' the illegal contact rule because they didn't want to admit that the refs screwed up in the 2003 championship game".
Old 11-09-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite angle he takes is the: "Lets pretend the NFL changed the rules to help the Colts even though they didn't change the rules, but rather vowed to 'enforce' the illegal contact rule because they didn't want to admit that the refs screwed up in the 2003 championship game".

[/ QUOTE ]

He's by far my favorite writer, and this was by far the worst crap he's written in a long time.

I actually like the whole pro-Boston stuff he writes, because it's usually rational and fair.
But this column came off as bitter and petty.

Although he's right that the Colts still need to win a Super Bowl to be great.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:48 AM

I love Simmons. He makes the work day bearable.

But yesterday afternoon, a buddy of mine asks what I think of the upcoming game, and I thought that Indy would blow out NE. Buddy responds "I hope so, just to see the ensuinng sports guy column".

I told buddy "I'll tell you right now what it'll be...it'll be 'so what, they haven't won anything yet!'".

Not nostradamusesque, but pretty spot on.

And as somebody else mentioned, the NFL didn't change the rules to help Indy. If anything they 'changed' the rules during NE's first super bowl to allow the mauling of Holt, Bruce, etc.

Even though I predicted Simmons response, I do wish he had had a little more class.

Josh
Old 11-09-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's by far my favorite writer, and this was by far the worst crap he's written in a long time.

I actually like the whole pro-Boston stuff he writes, because it's usually rational and fair.
But this column came off as bitter and petty.

Although he's right that the Colts still need to win a Super Bowl to be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its his fan perpective that makes him unique, however come on. I'm a Duke fan and I would have never said stuff like that about North Carolina after those thugs... or I mean athletes.... won the national title last year.

"The NFL finally got there wish" vomit.

Ken
Old 11-09-2005, 12:58 AM

He must have wrote this in the 4th quarter of that debacle. Worst Simmons article I've ever read.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I thought it was decent. Not great, but far from his worst. The intro was good and the "Footloose" stuff cracked me up. Sure it's full of the expected partisan crap, but if you read between his schtick he gives Manning and the Colts some credit.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 AM

Ick. I love this guy's stuff and he usually pulls off the homer routine very well but he just sounded like a delusional bitter fan that doesn't want to admit his team sucks this year.

His cowbell stuff sometimes isn't the best though. I think he just writes that stuff in like 15 min. and doesn't go back and check anything he just wrote. I remember when he was working on his book during the NBA playoffs and he had a cowbell like everyday and he seemed to always use the opening paragraph with a "ok heres all the stuff I pulled out of my ass yesterday" when readers would fact check his stuff.