Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Need help with Fixed Limit play once in the final 2 and 3

I'm playing exclusively fixed limit right now and have found most advice for SNGs regarding no-limit. I'm struggling with how to adjust to large blinds/chip count in the final three and feel I am likely being too conservative and giving the others an edge. Any links or comments about late stage limit SNGs much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Need help with Fixed Limit play once in the final 2 and 3

Most of your fixed limit opponents play scared when the stakes get high. Be prepared to pick a hand and take it to the mat even if you hate the flop. Take that KTo (or anything else too good to fold preflop 3-handed) and raise it preflop, bet the flop, bet the turn, no matter what. Basically, play it similar to what you hear for NL play. It just takes a few betting rounds to get all-in rather than just one.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:08 PM

I have been playing mostly limit SNG's too. I think the best overall strategy is to play very tight in early rounds, and shift to a loose and aggressive style when blinds are big and there are only 5 or fewer people with sizable stacks.

Final 3: Raise preflop with any ace, any pair, two high cards; if re-raised just call and see the flop.
Whenever a flop really hits you, consider checking until the next round - it gives villain confidence to call your larger limit bets. If you'ved already used that line and showed a winner, probably bet out next time.
If a flop totally misses you, checking down to the river is a lot better than bluffing off your stack and finishing 3rd.
If you have slowplayed a monster, opponents might be afraid to bluff after you check. If you put in a blind, you're usually get good pot odds to see the flop.

Final 2: It might not last very many hands. If your cards really suck, fold and get to another hand. If opponent is timid, be more aggressive; if opponent is aggressive, try to trap. If you flop the nuts giving free cards can work wonders... (I have flopped full house and gotten all the chips when villain got free cards and made a straight!)
Old 08-03-2005, 09:16 PM

Sit at a 5/10 play money table on stars with 100 chips and try to double it before you lose it.

Lori