Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Did I fail to protect my hand in this ex-large pot?

How do you protect the flop with 12.4 SB? Should I have just called rather than reraise?

Also, what do you do on the turn?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (11.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (17.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.60 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kh As (two pair, aces and fours).
MP2 has Jh Th (flush, ace high).
CO has Ac 8c (two pair, aces and fours).
Outcome: MP2 wins 21.60 BB. </font>
Old 04-08-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Did I fail to protect my hand in this ex-large pot?

I would bet the turn.

And I'd add MP2 to your buddy list.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the turn.

And I'd add MP2 to your buddy list.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-08-2005, 02:58 AM

Flop is perfect. MP2 makes a bad, bad call of your 3-bet, which is very nice.

Your turn play is questionable. After 3-betting the flop, you check? You _have_ to know that CO will bet when checked to, otherwise you'll miss bets AND give a free card. Luckily, he did bet, and you made it 2BB for MP2. Unfortunately, he now has the odds (&gt; 7-1) to call, so the check-raise was not likely to fold him. In addition, the whole idea of checking this turn after 3-betting the flop would smell suspicious to me if I were in CO's shoes.

Put MP2 in your buddy list.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 PM

Ok, so if my math is right I had 22.4SB back to MP2 on the flop after my 3-bet raise (including CO's pending call, which was a given). At best he was getting 11.2:1 on a call to a backdoor straight and flush, which at best would be like 1.5-2 outs (or &gt; 20:1). So I made him make an unprofitable call there. Hand protected.

By the time the river comes around, there are already 11.7 big bets in the pot. With 3 active players it'd be tough for me to get a 4-bet there. So technically what I missed was a value bet/rereraise, having only gotten a value check raise (all that seeing as I have to dodge only 10 outs, with the 8 hearts and 2 non-heart 8s being trouble, I have roughly 78% pot equity).

Ok, I feel a bit better now, though the turn check might be a bit bizarre.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM

i think you played it fine. mp2 made a huge mistake calling the flop 3-bet. which is what you want.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:41 PM

Either just call the flop 2-bet and then CR the turn, or 3-bet the flop and then lead the turn. Don't try to do both.

I'm fine with the protection manuver, but your hand is so strong and the board so uncoordinated, I think there is less need for protection than value. So I'll ususally just start beating on the pot on the flop.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 PM

agreed on the turn bet, i think you have to keep representing your strength here. MP2 made a series of bad calls, and got lucky. find him on the tables and you'll get your money back.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed on the turn bet, i think you have to keep representing your strength here. MP2 made a series of bad calls, and got lucky. find him on the tables and you'll get your money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure that MP2's play was as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. I'm not necesarrily suggesting he played correctly. I'm actually undecided. I think the decision is close - much closer certianly than everyone thinks.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:57 PM

I agree with this. It's almost to the point where I cringe a little whenever I read the phrase "add him to your buddy list." So he caught a backdoor flush with the odds slightly against him. He called one bet on the flop getting 15.4-1 with two backdoor draws, for a total of maybe 3 outs. That is not unreasonable IMO. He can easily give it up on the turn if neither of his draws come through. So once it was two more to him on the flop, he may not have been getting the odds, but who is folding here? I probably wouldn't. A buddy list candadite is someone with 70% VP$IP and 2% PFR, not someone who makes marginal calls, and happens to hit on you once.