Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 09:14 PM

Default I\'m new here, here are 2 hands

Hi,
I signed up a few days ago, I've been reading your posts for a while and decided to post myself. I'm very new to the game, a little over 2 weeks playing (well, maybe I could say I spent 1 week reading and the other playing), I've read 3 books so far, Poker for Dummies, TOP and WLLHE, in that order, I could undestood most of the concepts in TOP but it's way too much information for me at this level, WLLHE in the other hand is very easy to understand and currently my playing is based on that book recomendations. I also found out something by reading this board, I guess I'm playing in the wrong site, signed up at one of the Prima networks sites, for bonus reasons, no big deal just $50... Anyways here are 2 hands I tought were OK to post, the game is 0.25/0.50 Limit Hold'em, oh and sorry for the unusual format, I can't convert using bisonbison Hand Converter...

HAND 1
I think I did terrible on this hand but don't know how much, you tell me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Prima Network 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
------------------
OpeningBetRound
------------------
SB : Posts small blind 0.12
BB : Posts big blind 0.25
UTG : Calls for 0.25
Hero : Raises for 0.50
MP1 : Calls for 0.50
MP2 : Folds
MP3 : Calls for 0.50
CO : Folds
Button : Folds
SB : Calls for 0.38
BB : Calls for 0.25
------------------
Flop (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 players)
------------------
SB : Checks
BB : Checks
UTG : Checks
Hero : Checks
MP1 : Checks
MP3 : Bets 0.25
SB : Calls for 0.25
BB : Folds
UTG : Folds
Hero : Calls for 0.25
MP1 : Folds
------------------
Turn (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
------------------
MP3 : Bets 0.50
SB : Calls for 0.50
Hero : Calls for 0.50
------------------
River (10.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
------------------
MP3 : Checks

Final Pot 10.50 BB

HAND 2
On this one I think I did OK, but for some reason I think I need to work on the aggression, after reviewing the hand I thought I should've 3 bet the flop yet I don't know, 3 bet the river gets more money, anyways here's my play:

Prima Network 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed)

Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
------------------
OpeningBetRound
------------------
SB : Posts small blind 0.12
BB : Posts big blind 0.25
UTG+1 : Folds
MP1 : Calls for 0.25
Hero : Raises for 0.50
CO : Raises for 0.75
Button : Folds
SB : Folds
BB : Folds
UTG : Went all-in 0.73
MP1 : Folds
Hero : Calls for 0.48
CO : Calls for 0.23
------------------
Flop (Pot is about 14 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
------------------
Hero : Bets 0.25
CO : Raises for 0.50
Hero : Calls for 0.25
------------------
Turn (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
------------------
Hero : Bets 0.50
CO : Raises for 1.00
Hero : Raises for 1.00
CO : Calls for 0.50
------------------
River (15 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
------------------
Hero : Bets 0.50
CO : Calls for 0.50

Final pot 17 BB
Old 11-08-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: I\'m new here, here are 2 hands

Welcome. I would suggest getting Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth as soon as you are comfortable with WLLHE. It is much more in depth and teaches a better style of play which is what most everyone here plays.

Hand 1:
Preflop is good. You showed aggression preflop so I would bet out on the flop (you may be able to win it right there). If not, you still have a draw to the nut straight (4 Aces) and the 4 nines are probably either winners or split the pot for you (which is unlikely since you hold 2 tens). Another ten is probably a loser for you because it probably makes someone an Ace high straight. If reraised I would just call and see what the turn brings. I would probably just call a bet here (your draw is probably still live). I wouldn't bet the river since anyone with a K, Q, or J has you beat (others may disagree here and I'm a little torn on what to do).

Hand2: You didn't tell us if you have any read on CO. He reraised preflop and raised the flop. I would be severely worried about being dominated (AA, AK or AQ). I would 3 bet the flop to get a better read. If he caps, you are probably way behind. I don't like the turn cap without a read. If CO would bet A-rag like this then pushing is fine, otherwise backoff and if CO is very tight I would fold.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 PM

Hand 1, bet the flop. Otherwise, played fine.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:03 PM

Hi thanks for your reply, I'm planning on getting SSHE I even have it in my wish list in Amazon, I'm just waiting to hear about other 2 or 3 books worth reading/having to get 3 or 4 books in a single order.

On the comments on the fist hand I'm glad I was not playing terrible as I thought, the flop seeme so scary, I was aware of the str draw but for the whole hand I tought I was beat, I think I know the reason of this feeling, it was because my poket pair was worthless against all those overcards...

On the second hand well I made a mistake for not including the read on CO, he was without a doubt a maniac, I saw him erlier raising constantly preflop and all those things maniacs do, he isolated himself with his rise so it was just him and me (and the guy who went all-in), I'm going to edit the fist post.

Abelardo
Old 11-08-2004, 10:08 PM

can't edit my post, I hope it's not too late:

On hand #2, read on CO: all points out that at that he's a maniac based on previous play

Abelardo
Old 11-08-2004, 10:24 PM

Hi, I'm mostly following WLLHE for starting hands so TT is sometimes a rise preflop, but then on the flop could you explain me a bit why to bet? Kevin has said bet is good because of the agression I showed, and I guess as well for the draw I flopped.
OK, forget about that, what I really want to know is when you raise preflop, in wich cases you should bet the flop?

Abelardo
Old 11-08-2004, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, forget about that, what I really want to know is when you raise preflop, in wich cases you should bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're raising standards are strong, there are very few hands in which you wouldn't follow up a PF raise with a flop bet.

Now, if you've got AKo, the flop comes off one suited, you don't have a card of that suit and there are 6 players seeing the flop, I wouldn't bet out. But if you're raising with the goods, you should be betting or C/R'ing the flop roughly 99.9 percent of the time -- especially if your PF raise has thinned the field.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:46 AM

I'm following the WLLHE standards for preflop play, they look good I think, if it says raise I raise and I feel confortable, because now and then I flop top pair with at least good if not exellent kicker in a table where limping with AXo and KXo is the standard. I'm not sure but I think I'm passive in the flop and get more agressive on the turn and river, I will look forward to bet the flop a lot more often when I rise pf, I got a lot more work to do, poker can't just be simplified.

Abelardo
Old 11-09-2004, 01:14 AM

After the turn on hand #1, I think Hero has 6 possibly clean outs, and a potential for a large pot. With the jack paired on the board, a 10 would give you a mini full house, but it would likely give the others a broadway straight. Asuming the others aren't holding K J or Q J, a 10 on the river could create a very nice pot for you. And 4 aces would likey win you the pot or split. So I definitely go to the river with this hand, for cheap though.