Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2004, 01:39 AM

Default First Time For Everything... (5-10 NLHE)

Hey all,

5-10 NLHE on UB. A phenomenally good game. I have been playing for one hour and FIVE times I've seen a min-raise preflop be followed by a limp-min-reraise (which has sometimes been min-re-reraised back). Wow. Unfortunately, my UB account was empty and you can apparently only put in $500 in 24 hours. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] So, that's what I have.

UTG ($500) limps. The two chuckleheads who are turning this into a bizarre limit game preflop also limp. I have red KK in LMP and make it $50 to go. Folded back to UTG, who hits the "raise pot" button and makes it $165 or something to go. Folded back to me. UTG bought in $200 a little bit ago and doubled up once with AQ. The only other pot of note that he has played was where he raised out of the blinds with AK, got 3 callers, and then bet $10 into a $200 pot on the 872 flop.

I fold.

Comments?

ML4L
Old 07-25-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: First Time For Everything... (5-10 NLHE)

Why are you folding when you've seen this happen so many times. They can't be getting AA that many times...
Old 07-25-2004, 01:51 AM

Default Clarification

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you folding when you've seen this happen so many times. They can't be getting AA that many times...

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG has yet to do anything crazy preflop. He has had two hands of note: the AQ double-up and the AK $10 bet into a $200 pot.

ML4L
Old 07-25-2004, 02:49 AM

Terrible.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:07 AM

i wrote this on another post as well:

if you're not sure the guy has aces AND is a winning player, never fold KK preflop. too many idiots play too many hands too strongly preflop.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Clarification

Oh sorry, my bad. Anyways, have you ever seen him raise utg? If you haven't, I don't see how you can fold this. The AK raise from the blind is of note, because it means he plays it strongly preflop, and could be a candidate hand for a limp reraise.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:00 AM

all i will say is that the guys against whom you make big laydowns are not those who buy in for the minimum.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:22 AM

Oh no. No. Come, on. No.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:11 AM

man.

i cant believe you folded
Old 07-25-2004, 11:42 AM

Default OK, So I Didn\'t Fold... (\"Results\")

Hey all,

I should probably hold off a little more before posting this, but there are already enough replies that I get the point... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In the hand, I really wasn't thrilled about the reraise (more on that in a sec). But, I thought for about 15 seconds and then pushed. He called, had AA, I lose...

The reason that I posted the hand is because, just the other day, I was reading an essay about limp-reraises on 2+2er crockpot's website. The essay was more for beginners, but the point was that, in NLHE, a limp-reraise is almost always AA or KK. So, in light of that, I thought I might post this hand and see if anyone thought that folding was reasonable. Apparently, nobody does... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But, at the time (and part of me still feels this way), I felt that my seeing the other weirdos at the table (some guy had already reraised me from the blind with AJo) clouded my judgment, as I had no real reason to think that THIS guy was a nut. If anything, his $10 bet into the $200 pot when he missed with AK might suggest that he is a little weak.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, under what circumstances would you fold KK to a limp-reraise? Nobody ever replies to my follow-up questions, so I'll probably just start a new thread.

I apologize for the seemingly noob-ish nature of this thread, but I swear that this wasn't just a bad beat story. I had been planning on starting a limp-reraise defense discussion for a while, and I thought this was a decent hand to start it off. Hope to get some good responses to my new thread where I refine the discussion a little...

Thanks for the replies.

ML4L