Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 03:14 AM

Default Couple of AQ hands. Played ok?

Been having a hard time with AQ and AK lately. Don't know how to play the flop about 70% of the time.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 calls, Hero folds, Button raises, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds.

River: (14.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Button bets, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

and

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB bets, MP1 raises, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 07-15-2004, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Couple of AQ hands. Played ok?

Hand #1: If you think UTG+1 will 3-bet with a king (most people will) then you should rase the flop. He might very well have a queen here.

Hand #2: Good raise on the flop. Once BB takes over the show and bets out on the turn it is time for you to fold though.

k
Old 07-15-2004, 08:05 AM

Hand 1:
I'd certainly raise the flop. If he has the king he really would 3-bet unless he is very weak. And if he is weak I'd expect him to check the turn as well giving you a free card if you want to go for that (not that it would help that much in this particular example but in other cases it might).

Hand 2:
Fold the turn, BB should have you beat when betting out.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 AM

I definitely raise the flop in hand 1. Good chance your hand is good at that point. Other than that hand 2 looks fine to me. I think the turn call is close but not too bad considering you have the gutshot straight and two overcards. If I felt fairly certain BB wouldn't lead out with less than two pair then I would fold.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:27 AM

I agree with everyone about hand 1.

But in hand two, why are people saying to fold? He has 6 overcard outs, and the ace high gut shot. That's 3.6 to 1 odds, when he's getting 9.25 to 1.

Even if you only count the gutshot it's 10.5 to 1 odds. I say it's definitely a call in this situation.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:45 AM

Depends on what you put BB on. I put BB on either a set (likely) or twopair (not as likely) in this case, making the overcards irrelevant. To me the only improvment here is a K.

I dont see BB check-coldcalling the flop and then betting out on the turn unless he improved with the 2 or already had a set on the flop and slowplayed it.

Maybe that 1 to 10.5 gutshot to 9.25 BB is worth it counting implied odds, I don't know, but my gut tells me to fold here. Of course, trusting the gut isnt always the best thing to do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2004, 08:45 AM

In hand 1: I say raise the flop.

In hand 2: Are his overcard outs even clean? Do you think the BB only has one pair? If not he is only drawing to his gutshot. That means you still see the river though.

-Sent
Old 07-15-2004, 10:11 AM

Pot odds are 8.25:1, not 9.25:1. And I doubt if the overcards are clean. Also you need to consider that there are flush possibilities. I agree with you to a point which is why I said the turn call isn't too bad but I don't think it's as clear of a call as you are making it out to be. I also wouldn't count on implied odds here because there will be too many times when you improve, call a river bet, and still lose the pot.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:28 PM

He also has the slight chance at an AA, QQ, or AQ turn and river. Also don't forget he's playing at party 0.5/1. He's not necessarily up against two pair here.

:shrug:
Old 07-15-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He also has the slight chance at an AA, QQ, or AQ turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not when the turn was a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]