Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 01:27 AM

Default King high flush - comments?

What are your thoughts on my play here? And if I was last to act on the river and faced with 2 all-ins, what was the play?

I'll give my rational (a weak one) for the turn bet later.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (10 handed)

MP3 ($54.25)
CO ($103.00)
Button ($58.50)
Hero ($55.50)
BB ($34.25)
UTG ($36.50)
UTG+1 ($48.00)
UTG+2 ($28.25)
MP1 ($145.75)
MP2 ($27.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero bets $3, BB folds, UTG calls $3, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls $3.

Turn: ($12) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets $3.5, UTG raises to $15, Button calls $15, Hero calls $11.50.

River: ($57) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets $37, UTG calls $18, (All-In) calls $37.

Final Pot: $149

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kc 9c (flush, king high).
UTG shows Ah Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Button shows Ac 2c (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins $149. </font>
Old 07-13-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: King high flush - comments?

I think your river play is dependent on your turn play, which I don't fully understand. I mean the only reason you could have called such a large bet on the turn is if you believed you were drawing to live outs on the flush. So if you called the turn raise, which I definitely think you should NOT have done, then you HAVE to call a river-all if last to act, and make it all-in if it hasn't already been made to you. I'm not a fan of betting on the flop with 5 players to act behind you. Betting draw flops hoping for a free turn card is a good idea in limit, but isn't going to work here with this many callers in NL, and you are probably just throwing away that $3.

I can't understand why you would call the turn for 11.50 more, nor why you bet. You knew when you bet the flop there was a very high % that someone had an ace who called your bet. And as it happens, you unfortunately gave yourself odds to call the flush when you got reraised -- but only if you believed your outs still to be clean. However, when UTG raises and then button cold calls you have to realize you are probablly behind and may even be drawing dead -- which indeed you were.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:32 AM

Default Re: King high flush - comments?

Button overcalled the flop, so it'd be useful to have a read on him. dm34, did you have an idea of how the button plays? How loose is he postflop?

The way the action played out, I think the call by the button on the turn is scary. Cold-calls by someone who isn't just loose means a monster.