Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Caesars Palace 1-2: Deep stacks, Maniacal Bettor, 66 on a K,4,3 flop

Since the Caesars Palace poker room opened up in Las Vegas a week ago, I've gone there a few times and tried out the 1-2 no-limit games. With a maximum buy-in of $500 (rather than the normal $200 max in Vegas), there is often quite a bit of money on the table.

In the early Wednesday morning hours, I was on a table that had about $2,700 to $3,300 on it, including several players with $400-$700.

There was one young, drinking, Dutch Boyd lookalike at my table. He played about 67% of his hands. In just about every hand he played, he raised to $20 pre-flop.

This guy was more than willing to back up his pre-flop raises with strong post-flop bets, raises, and re-raises. In one specific hand, he bet $20 into a ~$60 pot on the flop, an opponent check-raised him another $20. He re-raised $100 more. His opponent put him all-in. The guy folded, showing no hand and no draw (on a flop of A,Q,x).

So, he's hyper-aggressive, nearly impossible to intimidate, and enjoying himself while playing this way. But, he's not clueless. He's betting a lot. He'll make loose calls for sure. But, he's not calling huge bets with nothing.

I've been card dead and playing tight. So, I've been nearly invisible at the table.

The hand:

A couple of ultra-loose players limp for $2 to me in mid-late position. They both have about $250 in front of them. I pick up 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I limp as well knowing it will likely get bumped to $20. I have about $425 in front of me. Everyone else folds to the Maniacal Bettor in the big blind who makes his standard raise to $20. The Manical Bettor has about $550 in front of him. Both ultra-loose players call (calling $20 pre-flop raises was rather standard at this table). I called as well.

Four players saw the flop with $77 in the pot (after rake).

The flop is: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The Manical Bettor is first to act and bets $20. This is a fairly standard play for him and has taken down quite a few pots. It's also allowed him to fold weak hands when somebody holding a real hand raises expecting to get action from him.

Both ultra-loose players fold and it's heads up between myself and the Maniacal Bettor.

I decided to call. Comments?

Two players saw the turn with $117 in the pot.

The turn is: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My opponent bet $70.

Your play?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Caesars Palace 1-2: Deep stacks, Maniacal Bettor, 66 on a K,4,3 flop

If you think he is capable of folding TT on this board i like a minraise, particularly if you have been invisible all night. Not generally a proponent of this but i feel this might be the spot for it. Should fold him out unless he has a King.
If he is a station then i am pretty sure i just fold because it seems as if he will fire again on river if you call- your description of him certainly didn't make it seem like he would necessarily slow down on river w/o a K and allow for a cheap showdown.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Caesars Palace 1-2: Deep stacks, Maniacal Bettor, 66 on a K,4,3 flop

I'd raise, fold to further agression.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Caesars Palace 1-2: Deep stacks, Maniacal Bettor, 66 on a K,4,3 fl

I prefer a raise preflop. Since you know lag donk will bump it to $20 otherwise, just raise to $10-12 preflop. Has he been reraising people preflop with junk?

I like to raise the flop here. But call,call,call looks okay too.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 PM

call. call river.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:22 PM

I think the people suggesting raising are way off base.

Assume he's betting $70 here, and if you call he'll bet $140 on the river with any two. If you call both you're risking $210 and he can have almost any two so you

What if you raise the turn? Assume you raise to $210, 140 more, he'll fold any hand you beat or reraise them allin on a bluff and you'll have to fold then.

Seems pretty clear you get the most value from call-call.

On the other hand, I don't really like 66 as the hand to call him down with, you'll surely get better spots.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, I don't really like 66 as the hand to call him down with, you'll surely get better spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong forum. This is a cash game.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Push preflop the second time it comes to you after looking at villian and saying "I knew you were gonna raise".

Raise the turn. You may push him off of hands that beat you (higher pp's). Unless he has a King he folds or slows down and checks to you on the river. So it's likely you invest the same amount of $$$ in the hand as you would if you call, call; and you have the added benefit of possibly folding hands that beat you.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push preflop the second time it comes to you after looking at villian and saying "I knew you were gonna raise".

[/ QUOTE ]
I think playing for a set is more +EV than pushing preflop and making him fold. He might just call you with a coinfip. If you hit your set you're getting paid.

As the board fell I think you need to decide on the flop if you are going to call him down. Either fold on the flop or commit $200 to your 66 unimproved. I prefer a fold. If he has two overs you are flipping, and his betting pattern means nothing, so you aren't getting any information to put him on imporved trash versus unimproved trash. I think this play is only slightly +EV at best.

A better approach to this player is to wait for TPTK and raise flop, call reraise, call two more barrels.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A better approach to this player is to wait for TPTK and raise flop, call reraise, call two more barrels.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it isn't. A better approach than this one would be to cut him a check for your stack directly and going to eat a piece of pizza.