Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-17-2005, 01:27 AM

Default PLO8 $25, AA23s, Good push on the flop?

This hand was from a couple of days ago, so at this point I only have PT stats to go by. All players are pretty loose with a low W$SD. Villain2 is *really* fishy with a VPIP of 91 through 50 hands. Villain1 is slightly loose, not aggressive preflop at all, and again poor. Villain3 is ArmourOfGod, whom ya'll seem to know more about than I sure do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Total number of players : 9
Seat 2: Villain2 ( $18.18 )
Seat 4: Hero ( $22.75 )
Seat 5: $17.10
Seat 6: $30.90
Seat 7: $3.37
Seat 10: Villain1 ( $7.50 )
Seat 9: Villain3 ( $30.75 )
Seat 3: $6.78
Seat 8: $7.05
SB posts small blind [$0.10].
Villain3 posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Villain1 calls [$0.25].
Villain2 calls [$0.25].
1 fold
Hero raises [$1.35].
4 folds
Villain3 calls [$1.10].
Villain1 calls [$1.10].
Villain2 calls [$1.10].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain3 checks.
Villain1 bets [$0.25].
Villain2 raises [$6].
Hero is all-In [$21.40].

Now, this is my first time playing a hand like this in PLO8, and I'm not sure exactly how strong I should play it. On the flop, the preflop raise from early position probably isn't that great of an idea, but it turned out well with three callers. The question I have is on the flop. With the nut low, aces, and a backdoor flush draw on a coordinated board, is this a strong push, or should I slow down?

-Boolean
Old 12-17-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: PLO8 $25, AA23s, Good push on the flop?

I'm stacking off expecting to enjoy a freeroll against the nut straight.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:07 AM

Allin we go, baby. Nut low and a big overpair with the backdoor draws that you have is a decent hand.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Question... does anybody think it's worthwhile to call on the flop to possibly bring Villan 1 or 2 along and plan to pot it all-in on the turn?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:08 AM

your aces have a better chance of standing up unimproved with fewer players - raise it up on the flop.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:53 AM

I think you push here because I think there is a good chance your freerolling on the guy who bet $6 one way or another and you want to isolate here. The thing is that only a straight or nut-straight will call you. So the chance is that you will get called by one so that your AA is good enough against the nut low as well and with the nut straight you get to freeroll, I like the raise here.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:25 PM

Push it all in on the flop, hope to get all in vs. 1 person and if your lucky they have a naked A2 or if they have the straight, let the freeroll begin!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 AM

I'm sorry, I don't feel like the best line of play has been determined here. Pushing all-in might feel good and it sounds nice when you talk about free-rolling the single villain, but the question remains is there more value to be extracted from the other two villains by just calling?

If he pushes all in, the villain(s) get ~2 to 1 odds until somebody else calls. What hands would a reasonable villain (or a donk) call with? I'd guess the nut straight, an excellent wrap, the nut low, or a combination of those hands. So he's likely to eliminate all but the initial raiser.

If he calls, it gives the villain(s) 3 to 1 odds. What types of hands might come along and what hands should he be worried about?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM

The problem I see here is that Villain 1 is short-stacked and bet out, probably with A2.

At this level, he is almost certainly going to put his stack in when it gets back to him. For you to make any money on this hand, I think you need to try to keep V3 in, and a flat call is the best way of doing that.

If V1 had a deeper stack, then I would agree that it is worth trying to isolate against the probable str8 of V2.