Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 PM

Default J9d on a Turned Straight

Probably the biggest pot I've ever played. Here we go.

Party 100NL, 6-max. Hero is button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], ~$220 behind.

Villain is early position. He is pretty loose pre flop, but not terrible (not that good, either), post flop. Villain has big stack of ~$380.

Pre-flop: UTG folds, villain raises to $3, MP calls, Hero calls, sb calls, bb calls.

Flop ($15): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero leads for $10, MP folds, Hero calls, sb folds, bb folds.

Thinking villain may have flopped two pair here, I only called instead of raised, waiting to see what the turn gave me. Comments on this? Too weak-tight?

Turn ($35): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets $20, Hero...?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: J9d on a Turned Straight

Alright, I guess I'll get to the interesting part of this hand, since none of you seem to care about the turn action.

Turn ($35): (K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Villain bets $20, Hero raises to $65, villain thinks for a while and calls.

River ($130): 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain open pushes for effectively ~$130, my entire stack.

Hero...? What do you think about my line before the river?

Really looking for some comments on my line in this hand...
Old 12-14-2005, 01:26 AM

I think you have the flop action screwy. Nonetheless, I think there are arguments for raising this flop.

Big draw+position+deeper stacks= lets inflate this pot a bit. Plus you can check behind if he checks a blank turn.

I can see some benefits for calling too. Prevents 3-bet, position helps.

Flop is fine/turn is stnd. I haven't seen river yet.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have the flop action screwy. Nonetheless, I think there are arguments for raising this flop.

Big draw+position+deeper stacks= lets inflate this pot a bit. Plus you can check behind if he checks a blank turn.

I can see some benefits for calling too. Prevents 3-bet, position helps.

Flop is fine/turn is stnd. I haven't seen river yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused by your reply --- you say the turn is standard, are you referring to my turn raise? If you are, then how have you not seen the river yet? The river (5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) is in the same post.

I think you're right about raising the flop though in this case.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:38 AM

Yes, turn raise is standard.

Would villan bet all the way through with a FD? It looks almost like a set/2 pair on the turn. The river is devastating. I really don't know what I would do, hope some others can fill in thoughts. I would probobly call at the time, but not like it at all.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 AM

I honestly would push this flop after getting raised because you have so many outs against a hand like AA/AK it's not even funny.

Example: Against AA, you have 17 outs.

Like against a hand range of

AA(overpair)/AK(TPTK)
KK/QQ/99 (sets)
JT (straight)
AdJd/AdTd (straight draw and nut flush draw

you have a 47% equity, so even if you have the monsters under the bed syndrome, you should push this flop.

If you think you can make villian fold around 5% of the time by pushimg then pushing is the most +EV play.

Also, call the river. If he has the nuts, nothing you can do.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly would push this flop after getting raised because you have so many outs against a hand like AA/AK it's not even funny.

AA(overpair)/AK(TPTK)
KK/QQ/99 (sets)
JT (straight)

you have a 47% equity, so even if you have the monsters under the bed syndrome, you should push this flop.

If you think you can make villian fold around 5% of the time by pushimg then pushing is the most +EV play.

[/ QUOTE ]

?? I THINK villan led for $10. So your pushing $200, raising villan 20x his bet? With stacks this deep, I don't think this is the best option.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AA(overpair)/AK(TPTK)
KK/QQ/99 (sets)
JT (straight)

[/ QUOTE ]

?? I THINK villan led for $10. So your pushing $200, raising villan 20x his bet? With stacks this deep, I don't think this is the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Derf, That's what I get for reading.

At least raise big. Raise to 50.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 AM

hmmm... lets start out at the flop. i raise this flop 100% of the time. my line here is to make a pot sized raise on the flop, and call or fold to the 3bet based on some quick math. i then will call a turn bet if i miss, or push if i hit. if he checks i take a free card or push if i hit. if u raise this flop u dont have any tough decisions.

as played i call the river push. u have 2nd nuts and i cant see any hand w/ the Ad here except maybe AJd. i think we are good here 1 out of 3 times atleast...