Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 PM

Default I\'ve finally discovered the value in chip shuffling

The first step in fixing my problem is admitting I have a problem, so here I am; I admit I can't sit still and I need action at the table!

I always play online normally, so I never got really bored waiting for playable hands (with things going so fast). But I always seemed to loosen up at any B&M since it was either sit and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait... Or play marginal hands.

Of course you guys already knew this I'm sure, but I just discovered how calming it is to shuffle chips. I first started with 4, then 6, and next thing I knew I was making good folds for one more bet. Normally I would have just called because it was either that or sit bored until the next hand, but now I had the chips to return to, to pass my boredom.

I want to apologize to anyone that I thought was doing this just to show off. Now I understand.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: I\'ve finally discovered the value in chip shuffling

It's about time you apologized!

Thank you.

-ZEN
Old 11-17-2005, 01:44 PM

There's a definite correlation between the fact that I can shuffle up to two stacks of ten in EACH HAND SIMULTANEOUSLY (depending how good the chips are for shuffling), and the fact that I'm basically tight as heck.

NOT a coincidence. I've spent way too much time in cardrooms. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al
Old 11-17-2005, 01:53 PM

Wow..two stacks of ten simultaneously...that's ridiculous.

I'm almost up to being able to do 8 and 8, but in my right hand only. You're right though that it helps to pass the time when you're doing a lot of folding. The only drawback I think is that it is more likely to clue people in to the fact that you're a good player when you first sit down at a table. So I tend to refrain from shuffling during the first couple of orbits in the hope that I'll pick up a big hand and the tight players will think I'm getting overaggressive with a marginal hand.

Also I find that if I'm shuffling for a few hours my hand starts to get a bit sore. Almost like the onset of carpel tunnel or something. I wonder if that's a problem for B&M rounders who shuffle chips for hours every day.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow..two stacks of ten simultaneously...that's ridiculous.

I'm almost up to being able to do 8 and 8, but in my right hand only. You're right though that it helps to pass the time when you're doing a lot of folding. The only drawback I think is that it is more likely to clue people in to the fact that you're a good player when you first sit down at a table. So I tend to refrain from shuffling during the first couple of orbits in the hope that I'll pick up a big hand and the tight players will think I'm getting overaggressive with a marginal hand.

Also I find that if I'm shuffling for a few hours my hand starts to get a bit sore. Almost like the onset of carpel tunnel or something. I wonder if that's a problem for B&M rounders who shuffle chips for hours every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a B&M rounder, but I pretend to be - and I stopped chip shuffling while back cause my right hand started to cramp up. I didn't think this was a good long-term habit.

I've moved onto other chip tricks that seem to put less strain on my hand. I like the drop-and-twirl one.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:03 PM

I don't do other tricks because it's just too much... "I'm a friggin goddamn WPT watching schmuck who can't play or deal a lick but can do lots of stupid pet, err, chip tricks."

F*** that. I shuffle because I like to shuffle. I don't care what people think of it. I'm mostly TAG, unless my cards and circumstances wind up allowing me to dictate a different temporary image. Other than that, I'm fine with being labled as TAG. It gets the money. Screw the chip tricks on the side.

I have been shuffling for years, plus playing guitar, and typing my ass off constantly, and I don't have carpal tunnel yet.

al
Old 11-17-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do other tricks because it's just too much... "I'm a friggin goddamn WPT watching schmuck who can't play or deal a lick but can do lots of stupid pet, err, chip tricks."

F*** that. I shuffle because I like to shuffle. I don't care what people think of it. I'm mostly TAG, unless my cards and circumstances wind up allowing me to dictate a different temporary image. Other than that, I'm fine with being labled as TAG. It gets the money. Screw the chip tricks on the side.

I have been shuffling for years, plus playing guitar, and typing my ass off constantly, and I don't have carpal tunnel yet.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - you hate other chips tricks. I basically have to agree with you, and "advanced" chip tricks in general are kind of lame. I just picked up one to replace chip shuffling because I get bored easily and like to do something with my hands. U are lucky no hand strain.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I basically have to agree with you, and "advanced" chip tricks in general are kind of lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that REALLY turned me off to "advanced" chip tricks was a dealer who practiced and practiced the "center chip drop-down and spin" trick, but who couldn't CUT CHIPS worth a DAMN, and couldn't deal worth a damn either, even after nearly A YEAR of dealing. Holy cow, work on what's IMPORTANT ALREADY, not some flashy bunch of bullpucky. I won't EVER learn that trick now, just on principle.

al
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM

Cool, I'm up to two stacks of 6 now. I've started noticing my hand gets a little sore, but I relate it to starting a new exercise, it's going to be sore at first.

My cheap and heavy chips and my hard table have kind of limited me to probably two stacks of 7 for now. As a result I've been forced to move to the carpet to practice with more... Actually a cool side effect, I don't need my index to start the shuffle on the carpet; I just push down on the outside edges. But I might have to start it with my index again as the stacks get taller and heavier.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I basically have to agree with you, and "advanced" chip tricks in general are kind of lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that REALLY turned me off to "advanced" chip tricks was a dealer who practiced and practiced the "center chip drop-down and spin" trick, but who couldn't CUT CHIPS worth a DAMN, and couldn't deal worth a damn either, even after nearly A YEAR of dealing. Holy cow, work on what's IMPORTANT ALREADY, not some flashy bunch of bullpucky. I won't EVER learn that trick now, just on principle.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Face it Al you don't do any other tricks because you have neither the dexterity nor mental capacity to learn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey by the way did you get my email at your work account?

Mike