Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Advice for playing an under-boat?

Can anyone give any general advice for this situation? I would say that for a noticeable number of my under-boat hands -- maybe even 20% -- I get stacked by someone with the over-boat.

For example, if I have a low/mid PP, and flop a set, I am usually check/calling the flop -- maybe even the river depending on how aggressive villian's flop bet is. If anything else on the board pairs on the turn/river, I am even more confident, planning to be all-in on the river. Should I be more aggressive on the flop unless my set is the top card showing? Should I just accept losing an occasional stack this way? Folding to a big re-raise on the river when I've made a boat seems abjectly pathetic, since I occasionally see missed draws bet that way.

TIA.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Advice for playing an under-boat?

[ QUOTE ]
If anything else on the board pairs on the turn/river, I am even more confident, planning to be all-in on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

An overcard-paired board is nothing to take for granted, unless your opponent appears to have a flush and is not good. If there is a connector to the pair, e.g., 7JQJ and I have 77, I am not at all happy to see my opponent push. It really depends on the player and the betting/situation. If it looks like he was happy with his hand before the board paired, and he is not lag, you are behind fairly often.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:41 PM

play them fast

worry about other hands unless stacks are deeper than 150bb

post otherwise
Old 12-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Just get your stack in the middle as soon as you can
Old 12-23-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...maybe even the river depending on how aggressive villian's flop bet is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooops, I meant 'turn', not 'river' here.

So, it sounds like when you make a set, only slow-play if your set is the high-card -- if not, move in fast. Is that basically what you guys are saying? Since if I wait, and the over-card pairs, then it may be too late.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:08 PM

You want to get your money in when you have a strong but vulnerable hand. If villian is betting into you, rr big/push. If he is check/calling: psb flop, 3/4 turn, 3/4 river, would be standard, I think.