Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: 6th Street Bet > For Value or Draw? Both?

I raise 3rd after one limper with a three flush and overs. On 6th, just call the raise. His raise is a big move after you pair your door since he should be afraid. You said he was a donk, not a maniac.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, there's a book out there, written by the best authors in poker, with advice you haven't seen in other books, and you refuse to read it?

The fact that you don't know why raising is a good idea should be reason enough for you to buy this book. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't refuse to buy it. It's just that I'm going to China and New Zealand for twelve months next week, and poker books aren't among my top priorities right now. Besides, I only started playing 7CS about two months ago, and from what I've heard, 7CSFAP is exactly what the title suggests - advanced. I'm not there yet. Hence, I will wait before I buy this book.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Nice, I'm moving to Thailand in about 4-5 months. Let me know how you like china.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:05 PM

I'll do that. By the way, my buddies tell me Thailand is awesome, so I'm sure you'll have a great time there. I take it you've been there before?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I was rather curtly told to get the book a few months ago. I did and I wish I had earlier. If you've digested West's book, it's time for 7cs4ap.

BTW, another reason for the raise on 3rd is that you will get more action when you axually do have the pair.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:16 PM

3rd:I prefer the raise since the 3 flush contains 2 fairly high cards that are live & could pair.

6th:I would not re-raise since he knew you could easily have three 10's,but he didn't care & raised anyway.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Read 7CSFAP...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have that book, and I don't intend to buy it very soon. I've read West's and Kammen's books, and they don't advocate raising with a three-flush in early position. However, I'd be very interested in hearing what Mason and David have to say about it. If you don't mind, could you please elaborate a little further why raising is correct here?

[/ QUOTE ]

7CSFAP overemphasses the important of trying to get pots heads up and trying to win heads up pots. In most games that's counterproductive. You'll have maximised your %win, but your EV will be breakeven or slightly less.

Sometimes I get the impression that SMZ think that you can play losing hands, but make up for it up on volume.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

7CSFAP overemphasses the important of trying to get pots heads up and trying to win heads up pots. In most games that's counterproductive. You'll have maximised your %win, but your EV will be breakeven or slightly less.

Sometimes I get the impression that SMZ think that you can play losing hands, but make up for it up on volume.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation folding would be more -EV than raising and getting it heads up which is the best way to play the hand.

SMZ's examples in the book only give the best play for the situation, even if it is just less -EV.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this situation calling would be Less +EV than...

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of out of it when I typed that one...
Old 12-26-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In this situation calling would be Less +EV than...

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of out of it when I typed that one...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Can folding be -EV? I'm confused now.