Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: W$SD

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of the river as a completely independent event. Obviously each player heads-up has contributed half the money. You're right about Doyle's strategy if you can pick up alot of pots before the showdown to compensate for winning less than half at showdown. You should theoritically to be able to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not pick up alot of pots before showdown AND have a high W$SD rate? My W$SD is 68.25% and my WSF is 40%

[/ QUOTE ]

From these numbers, I'd imagine you take a stab at a lot of pots but fold to resistance? What happens if you see a flop heads up, and someone check-calls your flop bet... let's say you have AcQc overcards on a Js-9s-4d. No draw, not too scary of a board, but you've got nothing as well. As said, you were checked to and bet out, and were called. Checked to on the turn as well. Your move...?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of the river as a completely independent event. Obviously each player heads-up has contributed half the money. You're right about Doyle's strategy if you can pick up alot of pots before the showdown to compensate for winning less than half at showdown. You should theoritically to be able to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not pick up alot of pots before showdown AND have a high W$SD rate? My W$SD is 68.25% and my WSF is 40%

[/ QUOTE ]

From these numbers, I'd imagine you take a stab at a lot of pots but fold to resistance? What happens if you see a flop heads up, and someone check-calls your flop bet... let's say you have AcQc overcards on a Js-9s-4d. No draw, not too scary of a board, but you've got nothing as well. As said, you were checked to and bet out, and were called. Checked to on the turn as well. Your move...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre correct. I bet ALOT of flops with absolutley nothing if nobody else wants it, but if called I give up alot of the time.

I have QJ on the button. Flop A53...it gets checked to me...I bet pot every time. There are alot of these type hands in any given session. Since youre betting pot, you only have to take the pot uncontested 50% of the time for it to be a break even play but I take it down around 75% of the time with a pot sized bet.

At one time, I actually kept a little tally sheet besised my computer to track how much I won and/or lost while betting with nothing. When I say nothing, I mean no pair, no draw, no nothing. It worked well enough that I started betting even more flops. You would think people would start check raising me, but they rarely do and if they do I fold obviously.

I also bet the same way when I have a set or big draw or whatever.

In your hand I most likely wouldve raised preflop. Whether or not I continue in this pot would be player dependant. Most likely not. I rarely continue with an uniproved AK/AQ hand if called but I might in this one if Im playing a chronic flush chaser.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:18 PM

W$DS includes hands where you bet the river.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:36 PM

The W$SD is affected by how your opponents play. It dosn't seem real useful without more info. Seperating it into more numbers, depending on who is betting and how large the bets are might be useful. Something like wins showdown when calling a pot sized bet (W#SWCPSB). Should be > 1/3.
When you bet the river, your number depends on how much your opp. folds as much as what you bet with. Also who is folding more on other betting rounds. It is complicated if the river is multiway, too (more of an issue in limit he).
Old 07-10-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Youre correct. I bet ALOT of flops with absolutley nothing if nobody else wants it, but if called I give up alot of the time.

At one time, I actually kept a little tally sheet besised my computer to track how much I won and/or lost while betting with nothing. When I say nothing, I mean no pair, no draw, no nothing. It worked well enough that I started betting even more flops. You would think people would start check raising me, but they rarely do and if they do I fold obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I used to do the exact same thing, until after a hundred or so times when I started realizing it was definitely +EV to do so.